*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. icey_haj

icey_haj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've also done 0 updates to my machine. Not even drivers, will wait a few months and if the bios update etc makes a big improvement then I will update.

If it ain't broke...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. s4lem0nsen

s4lem0nsen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That screen will stay that way since its the bios splash or UEFI if you like...

3. s4lem0nsen

Reputations:
    The following short guide will show you how to keep the alienware theme/wallpaper etc... + the default AlienFX scheme.

You will find the theme in the following location: %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

its a small file who just tells windows what colors and background to use, make a backup of this file and paste it to the same loacation after a reformat.

You will find the wallpaper(s) in the following location: %SystemRoot%\web\wallpaper

make a backup of the dell and alienware folder and paste them back in this location after reformat.

The AlienFX scheme you will find in your document folder, make a backup of this file and paste it back after reformat. Double click on the file after installing the AlienFX program. It will load the blue default theme.

If you cant find the alienware theme in theme/background settings after pasting them the way mentioned over, you can also double click on the oem theme file witch is the one you backed up in the first place, windows will locate the desktop wallpaper and apply the black/blue color scheme.

Edit: Look in the alienware folder under the wallpaper path, you will actually find pretty nice wallpapers =) A little easter egg you can say =)

selvedge, jcecil, T51 and 2 others like this.
  4. ERdiesel

ERdiesel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Curious.......anyone else have bitlocker enabled on their machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rairch

Rairch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just a heads up, Custom Nameplate Poll has ended and its a great outcome!

43 'Hell Yes' Votes to get these plates manufactured! Amazing result for everyone!

If anyone hasn't seen the thread
    Any love for a Custom AW Nameplate? (Poll)
    or is interested in a custom plate. Please PM me your required plate details, name & shipping details over by end of week!

Again, thanks to all for the support over the last week! Great stuff!

Cheers

Rairch

s4lem0nsen and icey_haj like this.
  6. T51

T51 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you mate! This is very helpful. I plan to rip out the stock drive since it's nothing compared to the latest Samsung.

Do you have sizes for thermal pads by any chance?

7. Gerald

Gerald Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I believe that has something to do with Windows 10 Home v. Pro. Pro should have bitlocker functionality, whereas Home does not.

Did you get Windows 10 Pro on your machine?

8. ERdiesel

ERdiesel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I have windows pro on all my machines. I've had bitlocker on all past machines but wondering if anyone else really uses it.

I'm actually trying to decide whether I should go ahead and use it on my new machine as well.........all benchmarks suggest no perceptible impact on gaming but curious to who else might have it enabled or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. s4lem0nsen

Reputations:
    The blue ones are 1mm and 0.5mm I belive, same as 15 and 17 inch. The smaller ones I belive is 0.15mm or thermal tape like thinness...

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Got my machine today finally, after 6 weeks of waiting. It's a great little beast for sure, the screen is amazing!

And here's the first big issue. Wanted to repaste it, since it's hitting 90c even in non-demanding games. Appears that some of the heatsink screws have their head wacked. So, there's no way to remove them using a screwdriver. Either a lefthand drill or dremmel and both methods aren't very inspiring. Ask for a new machine? No guarantee that it will arrive in a better condition. Live with it? Put on coolerpad? *Sigh* They just can't get it right, ever....

hmscott likes this.