*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. simonkee51

simonkee51 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My bad. AS SSD def not up to speed! Cheers for the heads up lads!
    Below are my results of THNSN5512GPUK NV vs MZVLW512 on Crystal and AS SSD

Read write 2.jpg

2. HMoss

HMoss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So been researching overclocking the OLED display
    Bad news: Not possible
    Good news: Maybe we will soon

To overclock the OLED display you have to use the INTEL Graphics control panel
    but when doing this you will get the "not enough bandwidth error" which is bull ****, it just doesn't work yet

Looking here https://communities.intel.com/message/447498?tstart=0#447498 an Intel test driver was released late December enabling the custom resolution option for 5th and 4th Gen processors and so some have been able to overclock their internal displays
    someone here (https://communities.intel.com/thread/25904?start=150&tstart=0) even managed using this driver to enable it on a 6th Gen i3 so who knows :D

May of been known by some but was interesting to me, really curious how fast the OLED will go if its possible
    FYI I tried the driver but it did not enable custom resolutions for me :(

3. Rairch

Rairch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very interesting read.
    Now that would be cool if it works in future.
    100fps doom ultra. Nice.

4. HMoss

HMoss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Rairch likes this.
  5. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. DJARIK

DJARIK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To those who haven't received their Dell Advantage rewards yet...

After an "I'm very dissatisfied with having to wait so long" (even though it is within their 30 business days) chat, they offered me a $150.00 online coupon code. I also just got a call from one of their customer service reps, to follow up, and she apologized for the "backlog due to so much volume during the busy season" and also told me that they will still be processing / honoring the original $74.00 Advantage rewards when they finally process them...

Coupon worked great, I used it to buy another 8GB Ram and 500GB M.2 ssd :), scheduled for Fedex delivery this afternoon.

Rairch likes this.
  7. Xenrail

Xenrail Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I get about 50-60% more performance over my stock 1060 on OC'd EVGA SC GTX 1070

8. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey all. I've repasted, and to my disappointment, the core difference has gone way up. The overall temps aren't worse, however the differential is. I thought the thinner thermal pads were the fix by Dell, and since I have them, this would not be an issue, but here I am. To those who repasted and do not have uneven thermals, in what order did you do the screws? And what paste spread method did you use? Really bummed, the whole process was a lot more involved than I hoped and in comparison to all the other dozens of repastes I've done in my life.

9. Xenrail

Xenrail Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A user on here tried the pea & line method with barely noticeable results. He tried the spread and was much happier. iunlock also recommends the spread method.

The screw method, follow the numbering (in reverse when you put it back).

Rairch likes this.
  10. Gadget goblin

Gadget goblin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a pcie ssd to add in my laptop as i need more space. I currently have a 256gb drive which has the OS and a few games in it but it's full already. Any recommendations please. 1tb drives are a little over budget probably a 512 would do nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk