*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Mine was delayed a week. Over a month wait for delivery? Kind of ridiculous. They didn't tell me why. I'm assuming it's because of the screen. May consider canceling... Kind of want the 1080Ti. :D

EDIT: Kaby Lake quad-core is expected by CES in January.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  2. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well personally id say dont cancel. But I've no laptop. But if you buy a 1080ti. You still won't have on either and then you see us with shiny oled monitors telling you it's the real deal. You will send back the 1080ti and wait prob another month to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. faustiano

faustiano Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really cannot wait to see the battery life (non gaming). I have read the reviews and they are all over the place. One even compared to the new Razer Blade 14, and said the AW 13R3 hit just under 4hrs while the Blade was just under 6hrs. Not sure how that is possible considering the battery is larger on the AW (although not by much).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. canoekoh

canoekoh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it's cuz of the oled screen

kaby lake quad-core "expected by CES" means we won't see it on alienware until may/june

hmscott likes this.
  5. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    I would guess the OLED screen can draw some power - it is pretty bright from what I have seen. Also the higher power cooling fans are something...although maybe not much. There is also some OEM flexibility with TDPup and TDPdown on the CPU that can impact battery life.

6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The OLED screen averages to draw the same power as an average IPS.

7. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    I was kind of grasping at straws and just spitballing possible measurable difference in power draw.

Watched D2D reviews of several laptops and he found the AW 13 R3 gets up to 44-45 dBA under load where the blade 2016 (with better cooling than my 2015) maxes around 60 dBA so it should be quieter. He also noted no detected throttling where the 2016 Blade throttled often. That is pretty encouraging for me assuming other reviews arrive at the same conclusion.

Further visual inspection also leads me to believe that the AW will have better capacity for cooling as well as better heat conduction between the heat source (GPU and CPU) and heat sink (the cooling fins). A lot of things lining up for me here :)

8. PMF

PMF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From what I understand, @scook9 is actually correct, it does use more. I remember seeing a detailed analysis where they showed that OLED power consumption varies very strongly depending on the color, i.e. % of black on the screen, and you needed something high like two thirds black to make it as power efficient as normal TN/IPS. Also, Anandtech had an article that covered the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga, in both the OLED and non-OLED variants and the OLED one had 219 mins of battery life versus 371 on non-OLED:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10697/the-lenovo-thinkpad-x1-yoga-review/9

I'm guessing there is a good chance that Dell is using a very similar panel as can be found in the Lenovo X1, but I'm just guessing.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    cookinwitdiesel likes this.
  9. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    The laptop panel market is already pretty small, the OLED market is even smaller. Pretty good chance they are the same panels I would think (Obviously not the exact same as different sizes, but likely same model line and manufacturer)

PMF likes this.
  10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Video playback and gaming will see roughly the same Battery. Depending on film and game of course, but it usually averages out.

Web is where OLED suffers, because just about every web page is mostly white. But if you want to extend battery (and reverse the statistic seen in the yoga's review) you can actually get much more battery life then the IPS screen by installing a "invert color" app on your browser.

Something like this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/high-contrast/djcfdncoelnlbldjfhinnjlhdjlikmph?hl=en

Gives web pages black backgrounds and white text.

PMF likes this.