*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Nomi92

Nomi92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ill do this in a bit.

I thought my microstutter was gone but it seems theres still some occurring ocasionaly. Definitely better than before though.

2. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll tentitively say that this seems to have made it a lot better for me

Edit: Hasnt fixed it but its a lot better

Nomi92 likes this.
  3. Pazzazuu

Pazzazuu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh yes, I'm definitely getting a huge OLED TV at some point in the future

Rairch likes this.
  4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    With the 13R3 IPS panel, have anyone tried to do FN F7 and see what's the resulting action?

I know that the OLED panel cannot use dGPU only mode and stuck in permanent optimus (at least not for the external display outputs)

5. Xenrail

Xenrail Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New OLED panel drivers out

6. lavachequifroute

lavachequifroute Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys I just reported a problem with my wifi card (killer 1535) and they swap it for a intel one. I have bad connexion and loss the wifi sometime. They send my the intel one next week.

By the way I'm still in love with this computer. The oled panel is beautiful <3

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

icey_haj likes this.
  7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Any noticeable change?

8. iaTa

iaTa Do Not Feed

Reputations:
    Interesting info from the Alienware guy I was chatting to at CES yesterday. He heads up the technical VR team at Dell so knew his stuff.

He said the reason you are not able to disable Optimus on the OLED model is because the pixel shift and refresh rate tech to hep reduce screen burn in is provided by the Intel display driver only. NVIDIA were not able to offer the same functionality, hence Optimus must stay enabled. He also said larger 15/17" OLED panels are probably a year or two out as there are technical issues with larger OLED panels which must be overcome. Oh and the marketing guys want them to make the bezels smaller on the new AW models which he laughed at.

Not sure if this has been shared before.

aaronfg, sidsat20, selvedge and 2 others like this.
  9. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This might be obvious, but I have a 90 watt DELL AC adapter for my work computer at home - decided to try it out with my AW13. Turns out it works just fine - obviously performance and charging speed is reduced. I also believe that it will not charge while gaming, but I also didn't see any battery drain.

I get about 85-90% the GPU performance, but at a reduction of fan noise output by 1-2X depending on titles (BF1 only dropped about 2-3dB). I ran Uningine Valley benchmark, and on the 180-watt supply, scored a 2568 (1080P/high) @61.4 FPS. On a 90-watt adapter, I scored 2382 @56.4 FPS. The other difference - on the 180-watt PSU, my fans cranked up to 47.5 dB (12" in front of screen), whereas on the 90-watt, peaked around 41.6 dB.

Just added 3DMark Firestrike...went from 9650sh to 9263.

HWInfo shows the GPU power draw is about 30-40 watts under battery, 55-watts under a 90 watt supply, and upwards of 85-90 watts when plugged into a 180-watt PSU. It's clear there is a nice PowerState change.

Can anyone here think of any detrimental impacts to using a 90-watt adapter? I like the idea of a quieter machine - and also like the idea of carrying around a much smaller PSU brick for travel! I can handle reduced charging speed, and I'm not sure I care all that much about the small loss in performance. This might be anti-gamer, but acoustics matter more than raw performance at this point in my life.

The only crapshoot for me is I just finished buying 2 add'l 180-watt PSUs when I'd rather put 90-watt ones in places where I like to cut fan noise (bedroom and living room). I also can't find any details on it, but if the TB3 port supports power delivery (which I don't think it does), I could run this thing off a 90-watt Dell WD15 USB-C dock with ONE cable, which would be marvelous!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  10. Nomi92

Nomi92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I need your guys help here. It seems all of the updates with the bios and chipsets has made my thermals WORSE!

Whats happening now is that on normal mode within 2 games of overwatch, my GPU goes up to 82 and my CPU 85 - 87.

Whats interesting is after these 2 rounds my computer FREEZES and i have to power it off manually. This does NOT happen in CPU performance. Is 82 for the GPU the max? What is going on?

In CPU performance however, it seems my thermals are better than normal but still WORSE off than before. GPU now up to 78 (used to be in the 71-72 range) and CPU is 78 - 81 (used to be 75 - 80).

I think I'll test other games and report back. Would love a repaste at this point but dont trust myself to do it.

Tichy_ and selvedge like this.