*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Nomi92

Nomi92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey maybe that solved it for all of us :p

Anyhow i have no idea how reliable the battery indicator on W10 is but ever since I've updated everything its reporting increased batter times.

Before the update the max it would tell me was 3 - 4 hours. Right now it reads 5 hours.

2. canoekoh

canoekoh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    one thing that helps is you wanna install the updated chipset drivers AFTER installing intel and nvidia gfx drivers.

interesting that dl-ing the nvidia drivers from dell fixed the lag for one of you. i'd hate to have to rely on dell for future drivers though : /

3. canoekoh

canoekoh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    if you go to the drivers page (www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/alienware-13-laptop/drivers), you'll see there are several (around 4) new chipset drivers that dell updated around 1/4/2017. I installed them and the lag just magically disappeared.

*edit Just to clarify b/c someone mentioned that updating the chipset drivers didn't work but installing the new intel rapid storage drivers worked, when I said I installed the newly updated chipset drivers from dell's driver page, I was INCLUDING the new intel rapid storage drivers as well so it may have well been the intel rapid storage driver that fixed the optimus stutter.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Nomi92 likes this.
  4. Xenrail

Xenrail Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can someone who has microstuttering problems download just the intel RST software and see if that alone removes the microstutter?

5. ERdiesel

ERdiesel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So anyone here within their 30 day return period ultimately decide to return their 13 R3 skylake version for the new kaby lake version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Xenrail

Reputations:
    I decided against it. Maybe i'll change my mind if some of the users here report significant improvements to battery, benchmarks, thermals, etc. (which i highly doubt will happen).

7. selvedge

selvedge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have microstutter so I can try to install the RST drivers when I get back home later in the day

I wanted to, but I would be paying ~$300 more for it since I got mine (like others) at a deep discount :/

Xenrail likes this.
  8. TheChang

TheChang Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I didn't install the Intel rapid storage drivers. And with Nvidia dell drivers installed my microstutter is gone.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

9. s4lem0nsen

s4lem0nsen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got a message back from dell today as I had one of the first batches of AW13. There has been no changes to thermal paste or pads on the AW13. The changes only applied to the 15 and 17 as the techs have found no evidence of too thick pads on AW13.

I wonder if someone can measure all the pads in their stock AW13 as mine has been replaced. I really like to know the thickness... if the pad I used on vram is too thick I will probably try using paste instead as I think my temp is too high compared to people with kryonaut repaste etc...

10. Xenrail

Reputations:
    I had a 4C differential on mine with stock paste and pads. Think the 13 is good