*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by katalin_2003, Oct 24, 2016.

1. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Most interesting fact I see from Dell's official spec sheets for the new AW13 is that the touch version is actually thinner than the non-touch. 22mm vs 24mm!

2. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
  3. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    So my initial analysis is....hard to say what the cooling will look like. The size of the fins looks decent but hard to tell in the only good picture if they are shallow or tall which would mean more surface area. I would like to think that the new design with offset hinge allows for taller fins leading to better cooling. Though it is an odd choice to not extend the 3rd heatpipe across the GPU to the fins on the left. They seem to load up more the fins more on the side that will be primary to the CPU which has me concerned, since the CPU always seems to run hotter than GPUs in my experience (despite the GPU being about 2x the TDP at least). The cooling will definitely be superior to the M14x R2 and Razer Blade though I think.

I miss discrete cooling for each heat producing element. Maybe I will look at the 15 as well to see how I feel before making any decision. At this point I care more about adequate cooling vs being super slim, I am a pretty strong guy, 1.5 more pounds of laptop wont make my back hurt.

Update: And upon further inspection of the 15 manual (just changed the 3 to a 5 in the above URL) it looks like just about identical cooling design and capacity so I guess a 6700HQ and 1060 are better than a 6820HK and 1070 on comparable cooling design - Since I tend to end up with maxed out laptops. And it will be smaller which is a bonus.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  4. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think in the end you will have a small increase to cooling surface area over the R2 version of the AW13, but the real focus is likely on shifting heat "away from the user" thus the forward based hinge design.

It seems that, in my reviews, the older 960/965M variant of the AW15 is a quieter thermal design, and the new 1060 based design will tend to be a near doubling of acoustic output, while still keeping thermals in check. I hope this isn't the case, as I know the older, lower TDP AW13 was relatively "quiet" compared to other gaming laptops.

But we can't ask for that in a new design that packs a quad core CPU and double the power GPU (despite the generational leap from Maxwell to Pascal). I know many cooling designs focus on longevity, thus they ramp up fans to keep GPU in the mid 70s.

Honestly I would prefer a more quiet design, so my hope is that somehow I can tune the fans down a notch and allow the GPU to creep up to the low 80s. For those that freak out about this, with a TDP limit around 94, letting a GPU run in the low 80s is perfectly fine - even for years. It's just that Dell will likely be aggressive with fans to help them out in meeting reliability predictions.

cookinwitdiesel likes this.
  5. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    I am fine with things running as hot as thermal equilibrium allows for given a) the noise is not insane and b) there is no throttling so the performance is consistent. My Razer Blade ramps the fans to max (100c on CPU with thermal throttling) when I open Chrome.....

hmscott likes this.
  6. izz0218

izz0218 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I pulled the trigger...

Alienware 13 R3
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
    Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    13.3 inch QHD (2560 x 1440) OLED Anti-Glare 400-nits Display with Touch Technology
    16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x8GB)
    512GB PCIe SSD (Boot)

I will add a Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB once they come out.

xxpmrong, judal57 and hmscott like this.
  7. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice config izz0218 Grats!

8. davver99

davver99 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Will hopefully be ordering this week if dell uk release prices

Depends on price might change and go for a 15 r3 if he 13 is a lot

9. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Given that this laptop only uses 2 pice slots only. Buying the right one is key. Is buying a nvme a better purchase than the Sata version? Read/write speeds is 550 vs about up to 3200/1800. Is this worth paying the extra for? (Disregard brand. But say sandisk x400 vs sm961. Price difference could be about 200+ more)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, not worth the money for fast SSD's. Unless you are data mining, or constantly moving very large files, you will observe no real world difference.

raiden87 and hmscott like this.