*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. benc122

benc122 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone have a bios dump for the Alienware 13 r1?

c69k likes this.
  2. tom_mai78101

tom_mai78101 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How would you do a BIOS dump anyway? Just download the BIOS drivers from Dell.

3. benc122

Reputations:
    I’ve gitten another motherboard placed in and the keyboard works in the bios but not working within windows .

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's odd.

5. fincan

fincan Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone knows the part number for R1 battery? Is it the same with R2?
    How about the palm rest/frame?

My 13 R1 batteries bulged quite badly, left side actually popped the palm rest. Assuming this is dangerous I would like to replace it however I am not sure what exact part number is or where to buy to be honest.

6. benc122

Reputations:
    Go to partspeople.com and enter your service tag and it will show you compatible parts

fincan likes this.
  7. KSSR1211

KSSR1211 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just finished ordering a battery from Dell for my r1. Since I wanted a longer battery life I ordered the battery for the r2 62wh from Dell for about 80.00USD installed it and it works fine. Except for windows saying that it will be 4 min until full charge. Program battery bar gives correct times.

fincan and c69k like this.
  8. benc122

Reputations:
    Try trying off express charge in your bios

9. danyune

danyune Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good afternoon anyone who owns one of these still!

I just picked one up locally, got a very fair deal imo
    i5 haswell sadly, 16gb, 512gb M.2 SSD, 860m, QHD 1440p touchscreen, all clean

Chassis is in prime condition, seems it was used on a tabletop all of it's life and not EDC. even the screen looks like it was hardly ever touched.

I can tell the person wasn't really much into computers. The bios was still on A00, the AlienFX was on 4.0.0 (Installing Alienware CC updated it to 13.x.x), all screws looked like they were never even undone before (usually black screws show some scraping on them when they've been unscrewed once).

I took it apart, re-did paste with kryonaut and put on new pads, and wow the temps are ridiculous low. I did not even undervolt the CPU and it maxes out low 60s during Firestrike (I know, GPU based benchmark), but the GPU capped out at 63c as well.

So I got a few questions for owners:
    -Worth updating to R2 battery? Saw a few posts saying it fits and works fine, but most recent post said something about the windows charging deal always saying 4 mins

-Can I use both M.2 SSD slots? Is it Sata M.2 only? I assume no PCIe or NVMe can be used on this due to age.

-Are any of the AW13 boards direct swap? Such as R2/R3? If one day the board dies, am I stuck with using only the haswell/860m, and maybe the broadwell/860m boards?

Not sure if anyone tried swapping, but thought I'd ask. There's a crapton of posts, only went through so many.

10. Eurasianman

Eurasianman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How difficult was it to get the 62 wHr battery from Dell? My 13 R1 battery has about 130 charge cycles and battery life is about 2-3 hours with 40-60% brightness. Not terrible, but seriously contemplating on replacing the battery if it isn't too difficult. I took my previous laptop (HP Envy 17) apart to replace the TIM on the CPU and GPU. I assume the Alienware 13 R1 isn't too terrible in taking apart to replace the battery.