*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can use AMD in AGA. The thing is your internal dGPU goes into Ghost protocol mode and only R9/any GPU in AGA is active.

2. Eurasianman

Eurasianman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, I tried RE7 with the graphics amplifier and it runs. I tried RE2 remake, and it keeps using the Intel Graphics driver. The laptop specs are below. The video card I have in the amplifier is an R9 290. I have installed the AGA driver, restarted, and then installed the AMD drivers for the card and rebooted. I can see the card in Device Manager, as well as, within the AMD software. Any ideas?

3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Crimson driver or Relive driver?
    I'd recommend putting every game in Windwows graphics settings list to use radeon 290. Often it switches to Intel video which produces 1-3 fps and works like crap.

4. Eurasianman

Reputations:
    Whatever driver comes with the Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.2.1 package. And what is this Windows Graphics Setting list that you speak of? First time I have heard of it. I know with NVIDIA, you can go into the NVIDIA Control Panel and configure applications to use NVIDIA over the IGP, but could not find out how to do the same with the AMD graphics. Not only that, but when I actually went into Device Manager and disabled the Intel Graphics, Resident Evil 2 tried to run completely off the CPU /facepalm

5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Watch this video:

propeldragon and c69k like this.
  6. Eurasianman

Reputations:
    Yea, I figured it out last night and just forgot to post on the forum <refer to avatar>.

Thanks. It seemed to do the trick. However, performance was not exactly as stellar as I had hoped. But from what I have read, I have two things that are going against me. 1st, I know my CPU (i7 5500) is bottle necking me. 2nd, I believe, although I could be wrong, that there is a performance degradation having the image transfer back to my laptop screen rather than an external monitor.

7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Yes there is some loss in outputting the image back to laptop screen which needs Intel GPU to be enabled. On external monitor you'll get good performance. Mind you, RTSS or MSI AB overlay kills FPS on AMD GPU. So, its better to use Relive OSD for FPS and recording.

8. Eurasianman

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback. I normally just use the Steam FPS counter or the in FPS counter. I will mess around with it some more. But so far, I've been enjoying the nice little boost and graphics performance. It is definitely nice having this functionality/option. Because of this, I will definitely be getting another Alienware laptop in the near future. Preferably something with a quad/hex core processor. My current laptop is great, minus the CPU. Too bad I can't just easily swap it out. Oh well.

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Look at 15r2/r3 refurb with 6820HK and 970M/980m/1070M. That extra 2 cores will help you push more FPS.

10. Eurasianman

Reputations:
    Yea, I kind of knew, going into this, that the CPU was going to be the bottleneck. Just looking for a little more oomph to keep the laptop going for a little bit longer (at least until May 2020/5 years old). Aside from gaming, this laptop has exceeded my expectations in build quality and performance. Until I get to a time and place to where I can invest more time and money into PC gaming, this will suffice. Otherwise, for gaming needs, I can always revert back to console gaming (equips flame suit) until I can get a better, overall build.

Vasudev likes this.