*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Any 3rd party AV?

2. ryannguyen69

ryannguyen69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I using Kaspersky free for testing purpose, should I remove it?

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Then disable Defender ASAP. It might conflict with each other.

4. ryannguyen69

ryannguyen69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The windows defender will disable itself when Kaspersky in active. Furthermore, I can turn off both if you want it.

5. deepgrasshopper

deepgrasshopper Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All!

I have a P56G001 (2015 model) and I had been pretty much satisfied with it until recently.

Last week while crawling my way to #3 in PUBG, one the cooling fan broke down. I heard a sudden loud noise and all the blades of the fan situated above the GPU were gone!

Well, now the real issue comes up as the laptop features an integrated cooling solution. I am not able to find the replacement heatsink assembly for P56G001. Even though I can find the replacement heatsink for R2(P56G002) model.

I would be really grateful if anyone can confirm whether both feature the same assembly or not?

6. SomeArmyGuy

SomeArmyGuy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello All,

First post here, just some armyguy. I have a 17R3 and a 13R2, I am going to have to start using the 13R2 a lot more now, I want to do some upgrades. I have been trying to figure this out for days now with no luck so I am posting here in the hopes you guys can help me figure this out.

I want to get the best SSD I can (fastest), I pretty much only do gaming.

- I understand that I have to buy an adapter, and m2 screws, and then I can use 2 m.2 drives.
    - However, is an m.2 driver (Say the Samsung EVO 850), connected with an adapter, going to give me the Pcie 32GB/sec speed or is it capped at the 6GB/s for the SATA III??
    - For m.2 drives that are not MNVe, are they still faster than a 2.5" regular SSD??
    - Will any of this matter for what I do primarily? Gaming??

Thanks in advance!

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You need m2 screws. Just get a m.2 SSD either SATA (850 EVO m.2) or PCIe NVMe (950 pro) since in 13 r2 both are compatible.
    As for read/write speed it will depend on your SSD specs, with SATA max R/W: 540MB/520MB and PCI-e R/W: Upto 3.5GB reads and 2GB writes. Yes m.2 SATA has near specs R/W speeds.
    For gaming, you won't notice a difference w/ SATA or NVMe.

8. Zakalwe

Zakalwe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I noticed today in SupportAssist that the 13 R2 is supposed to support up to 32 GB of RAM. Maybe it always said that. Anyway, the big manufacturers' compatibility selectors do not list any 16GB SO-DIMMs for the 13 R2. But there is RAM that should fit in theory, spec-wise. I am a bit out of the loop regarding hardware purchases, though, and thus hesitant to just buy something like that. There may be pitfalls I am not aware of. Does anyone have 32GB in their machine and could recommend memory known to work?

9. Flaick

Flaick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys, i have an offer from a friend of mine. He wanna sell me him Aw 13 R2, gtx 965m QHD+ (3200x1800). I wanna know if the screen is not too small for that resolution. Maybe the games will lose lot of FPS? Can i set a minor resolution (FHD) and have the same quality as native FHD display?

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes you can set it to lower resolution.