*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. 1meanlx

1meanlx Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, called Alienware support today. Seems the primary SSD is bad, they are going to replace both of them since the laptop is so new. Pretty good support so far.....

2. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    and I've been gaming on mine for the past 3 days ... and overall I'm OK with it. However, the lights all over the laptop are connected somehow to the game I play (or gaming mode in general) so those change colors during the game, so the laptop looks like a Christmas tree while I play, lol. Dont really like it. Apparently there is a gaming profile for these lights but mine is empty and it still does it.

I'm also not liking win 10 .... so has anybody put win 7 on the alienware 13 R2 yet ? I've read somewhere that it might be a problem (somebody tried to put win 7 on a MSI GS40 /also skylake/ and couldn't)

The GPU does good. I get 50 to 80 fps (with average of about 65) on World of Tanks at 1080 at high settings. At ultra it does about 40 to 45 fps. It works on 1200MHz core and 1250MHz memory, but it heats up - sitting on a table it went to 85 deg C after some time of plyaing, considering that the table underneath actually heats up as well thus ups the temps. If I would lift up the back end of the laptop then it tops at about 76-ish deg C, which is much better. So I need to figure out something about that part. I really hope they put thermal paste on the GPU/CPU and not thermal pads .. cause I dont want to take this one apart. Yet.

The 1TB 850 SSD arrived as well, but I haven't installed it yet.

The graphics amplifier was a pain to open - somebody should have said somewhere that there are two pins on the sides in the middle that need to be pulled outwards for the thing to open, cause I was gonna break one... but didn't.

so that's it for now. Looks like the battery would last somewhat about 3 hours , but I'm still with the HDD .. so that should improve. I'm expecting it to die within 3 years

3. GNandGS

GNandGS Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    WoT does have a file for this but you can disable the feature entirely laptop side. I can look later for details.

This appears better made than my M11x which still works so I have higher expectations :)

In game mode I do have a small fan powered cooler but mostly the benefit is by being raised so I agreen wit your observation. This system, much like the M11x, has very little gap from the stock pads! Haven't bothered to look into custom fan control as they seem to max out as needed.

How much was SSD?

4. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    This kind of worries me. The GTX 960m shouldn't get that hot. When I use my overclocked GTX 860m (+135Mhz, +335MHz), I get mid 70s (might be higher since I haven't put in new thermal paste), so I wonder if there is something different with the fan speed settings in the R2 compared to the R1. Or if the thermal paste isn't applied correctly.

5. shrmn

shrmn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    AHCI - That was the default setting for my R1.

Mine runs 90 degrees on load, stock. They use thermal paste, not pads.

I'm on my 4th motherboard now and only recently learnt that they have been supplying refurbished motherboards for their service staff to replace during on-site servicings. Emailed them to request for a new motherboard because I've just been inheriting problems from these old motherboards. (Unable to startup/no keyboard/video glitching/insanely high temperatures)

6. GNandGS

GNandGS Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Atter about 2hrs on flat surface my max GPU temp was 76. Not sure how typical that is but clearly others are having a diff experience. My CPU is 5500 though if that matters.

7. Zarfol

Zarfol Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same, on my R1 (5500U, 860M +135/+200), I'll top off at ~75C on both the GPU and CPU during Furmark or other benchmarks. Fan does ramp up though, and gets medium loud (nothing a TV wouldn't wash out though).

Can't seem to OC more than 135 on the core otherwise I probably would. Is there a fix?

I looked into repasting both the CPU and GPU, however after watching some teardown videos, it is quite involved and doesn't seem like its worth it for me (although I would love lower temps on the CPU)

EDIT: Temps for the GPU on afterburner while using the intel gfx card are kind of wonky for me, and drop to 0 every so often. Not exactly what's going on there, but seems to monitor fine in games and benchmarks.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  8. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    You need an unlocked vBIOS to get more overclock on the core (this is standard across laptops). Contact Prema for instructions and help for it.
    As for your edit, could be software detecting being funky.

9. ufomammut

ufomammut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got similar temperatures under load (6500U and 960m). But it seems that the fan are running too slow and wait too long to start, so it is probably a fan table story.
    It is a déjà vu, I got this problem with my A17R2 and got it resolved with the bios A0 (any bios that came after makes the laptop running hotter, but you probably knows that story already)

10. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    I know the 15 R2 and 17 R3 have this option in the BIOS, but is there any fan curve option to make the fans run faster?
    Alternatively, one could use HWInfo to do set a manual fan curve.