*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well I joined the club as I said I would :D

AW 13 R2 - i7 - 8GB - 1080p - 500GB HDD - W10 Home - GA - free xbox controller

I'm about to order Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD, Windows 7 Pro, and will need to add some desktop GPU into the GA obviously so please recommend me one. And I guess I'd need to buy me a new 1080p TV that I can use with the GA, lol. Also, is the 9-9-9-24 the best memory that is available for this ? ... cause I'd need to upgrade to 16GB as well.

but it was a tough choice. I considered that it's little underpowered compared to some 14" laptops that one can find these days, including Aorus X3, Gigabyte P34W V5, Razor Blade 14, and the MSI GS40 ... all with quad core CPUs and 970M GPU. But first two got ruled out due to crappy build quality and issues with system components, the Razor wasn't exactly my type as to the high resolution screen and not available SATA port, so the last choice was the new MSI GS40 vs the AW13. But with so so design, poor keyboard, and not IPS screen for the GS40 - I went with the AW13.

did not justify the extra 100 bux for the bigger battery so I went with the standard one. I'd probably have to change it in 2 to 3 years regardless as to missing battery management software, unfortunately, but it's ok.

anyways, plan on using the laptop for at least 5 years :) ... so hope the 2+Gs for this setup will serve me good.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its a great little laptop, but even the higher end AW15/17s I dont see performing really well over 5 years. But 3 years is mos tcertainly doable.

3. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    I think it was J.Dre that installed 1866MHz RAM from Kingston HyperX (very good RAM), and those worked for him. I would get the same kit, but 9-9-9-24 1600MHz RAM should work.
    It may be possible to buy the 62 wHr battery from a third party or from Dell later on (as in, a year). Well, you could buy the bigger battery from Dell now, but it would somewhat pointless.

4. patty1million

patty1million Newbie

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  5. ufomammut

ufomammut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    WOW
    I just get my new 13 R2 with 500 SDD and the QHD+ screen.

The screen is just so amazingly gorgeous.
    I was angry about alienware particularly with the bios and the throttle problems never addressed on my 17r2, I promised myself to never buy Alienware anymore.
    But well, I needed an ultrabook with ultra high definition screen and a decent graphic card, so... there is not that much concurrence.

So well, I like it a lot, and this guy don't even throttle under unigine valley + wprime.

But really the screen !!! So good. I just regret they don't offer a mat version.

6. 1meanlx

1meanlx Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my AW13 R2 about a month ago. All of a sudden the boot up time is extremely long. It takes a few minutes just to get "Alienware" to show up on the screen while booting. Is any one else having this issue? May be related to the bios upgrade not for sure though. I have the fully upgraded model that was for sale in October with the dual SSD drives, should not take this long for an SSD to boot.

7. ufomammut

ufomammut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know if it is the same problem but i adressed slow boot up on my new 13 r2 with a 500go ssd by removing the freefall software
    Now it boots fast
    I don't have hdd so this so this soft was probably doing a mess

8. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know if you are running RAID on those SSD's or not, but I have seen RAID software (like Intel Rapid Storage Tech) cause slow boot up times. During the slow boot it was doing some sort of start up checks every time, if no errors were found it would eventually boot, and I've seen ones where it did find errors and took even longer to repair them each time.

9. 1meanlx

1meanlx Newbie

Reputations:
    I have reloaded the machine so the free fall software was not installed at first, it still booted slow.

10. 1meanlx

1meanlx Newbie

Reputations:
    At first the bios was set to raid, I changed it to the other selection (forget now the exact name. Achi something...lol.)