*OFFICIAL* Alienware 13 R1/R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. JDawggS316

JDawggS316 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone think they will ever have an AW 13 with an i7 quad core?

2. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ok so I was out on vacation for two weeks and apparently I'm looking into R2 already ... :/

The differences between R1 and R2:
    - USB-C port
    - no Display port
    - I can get i7 with SATA HDD - meaning I can add one of these 1TB Samsung 3d SSDs without buying additional cables?
    - I can get bigger battery
    - I can get the small screen with i7 now, among all options.
    - I can only get the small screen with i5
    - PCIe SSDs available ? ... I still need the 1TB Samsung SSD, lol.
    - the wifi went from 1525 to 1535. I bet it's the same thing.
    - no Win 7 option. Damn. I'll have to order some other windows and then buy me a separate Win 7 I guess ... and hope for driver support.

did anybody buy the R2 yet? .. if so, please post GPU-Z screenshot. I'd like to see if the GPU is still using the PCIe 2.0 x4

Am I missing something ?

3. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    The 13 R2 hasn't even shipped out yet, so no person would have a GPU-Z screenshot. That'll be until late this month / early next month.
    The bandwidth for the GPU should be PCI-E 3.0 x4 because Skylake-U runs at PCI-E 3.0.
    As for the SATA thing, yes, if you get the SSHD, no need to get additional cables.
    The non-touch screen is removable, so you can opt for the base and then buy the 1080p screen for somewhere else and do the upgrade yourself.

4. Eurasianman

Eurasianman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope. Unless Intel releases an ULV Core i7 quad core, do not see it happening.

5. JDawggS316

JDawggS316 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been looking for AW 13 owner's opinions anywhere I can find them: are you happy with the AW 13 even though it's has a dual core?

6. ttfid

ttfid Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I would only get the AW13 if you need portability. The power of this machine at 4.5lbs is almost impossible to match thanks to the 960M and 2GB of VRAM.
    I would get the 1080 screen. 13" is too small to notice the higher res. Touch screens are reflective and only useful if the touchpad doesn't support 2 finger gestures, or if you like looking at a reflection of yourself a lot.
    I'll admit the touchpad has a rough feel that makes my skin crawl and the tap to click or two finger tap for right click is unreliable and has a 'cheap' feel.
    To run 2014-15 games at higher than 1080 you need to lower the graphics for 30fps. At 1080 you can run at high graphics and get 30fps. I think that is due to the GPU and not the CPU. The dual core CPU is fine for most programs especially the I7 version.
    Does any program really use more than 8GB of RAM?
    The 256SSD is too small. You'll fill that up with almost nothing.
    I would put my money into a larger SSD (500GB or 1TB) instead of the 16GB RAM.
    If you want higher resolution gaming, use the Graphics Amplifier and a QHD external monitor that is large enough to enjoy it.

I'm very happy with my AW13!

hari naga varma likes this.
  7. ttfid

ttfid Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  8. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it says i7-5500U so it's the same CPU as in R1.

9. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Read the manual. It's been said earlier in this thread and in the refresh thread, the upcoming lineup only has Skylake mobile CPUs.
    My points stand. I suggest reading through the refresh thread to get caught up with information.

10. jedolley

jedolley Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As it's been stated several times, the upgrade will happen during the production process.

If you are unwilling to believe the previous posted proof and system specs, how about an actual order?

[​IMG]