Official Acer Aspire 5739G Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by tuηay, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Vyga

Vyga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    its definitely sreanshot of m5100 stats, bios version number is identical of m5100, also clock rate matches perfectly while w5170m would have 925Mhz.

triturbo likes this.
  2. Sanek1982

Sanek1982 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have it currently in my 5739G and it's actually on par with M4000 as far as fan kicking in, when I play blu ray quality videos and as far as games I don't know since I don't play any high demand ones right now just flash based online stuff.
    As far as heat the most hot running one was M5950 I think it was called (HD6670 equivalent). I went from GT240 -> M59xx ->M4000->M5100. I think because newer ones have much better power management so they keep things in check unless you overload them so if you're heavy gamer then no it's not good idea, same way as using 5739G for heavy games its Waaay underpowered as far as cooling for that. I have Dell M6600 workstation with M6100 video card which I haven't had time to set up as my main computer ( 5 months since I bought it LOL) that one has two big fans which can take care of the heat no problem (not mentioning 32GB ram as an option or RAID set up for SSD's).
    I use P9700@2.8Ghz CPU though on my 5739g which is 27W rated I think instead of 35W like regular core 2 powerhorses so that helps little bit as well.

3. Vyga

Vyga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Try running Heaven benchmark (free) (https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaveng/), it gives good load on gpu. Tho you would need to run some stress test on CPU too (cpu-z (free) cpu stress(http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) would be enough ) in pair with GPU test to see temps which you would get in gaming. Mine reaches same temps as in gaming after like 15-20 min of these 2 running together.
    Would be really interesting to see what temps this gpu reach on 5739g if it would be used for demanding tasks.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. Vyga

Vyga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's yet another cooling mod. As you all probably noticed fan in 5739g got really small gap to suck air in, like 3 mm high and 40mm wide with bottom cover in place. So lets double (at least) that with this simple yet effective mod. For mine acer temps dropped around 3-4C on CPU/GPU when compered with temps before this mod on same tasks. Also, fan now almost never spins on max rpm while previously it was spinning on max quite often.

So, the mod is to open up 2nd air intake hole on top of laptop. Don't worry it doesn't look ugly and is barely noticeable.

1. Firstly, while top cover (the one with touch keys) is still in place(so that it would not need extra hands to hold it) I removed plastic cover with lots of little holes (1st photo). To make it easier use hair dryer to preheat the cover and knife to help peel it off. Try to be careful and not to damage this cover as we still gonna need it.
    [​IMG]
    2. After peeling off plastic cover you will see some cloth net underneath it- preheat it and peel. You don't need to be careful with this one as we throwing it off (2nd photo)
    [​IMG]
    3. Unscrew and remove top cover, clean off the remains of glue (I used window cleaner with alcohol) (3rd photo)
    [​IMG]
    4. Drill holes in top cover. You should drill from inside side so that you would see where pcb's are and would not drill into them(4th photo). You can drill into or slightly damage grounding foil, just don't cut it off completely. If you don't have drill you can heat up some sharp thing (scissors, knife, nail...) on gas cooktop and poke some holes, but it MIGHT slightly deform plastic and it won't look so good.
    [​IMG]
    Sand off (use knife if don't have sand paper) the excess plastic on holes, if there is any, so that cover outside would be more or less smooth (5th photo)
    [​IMG]
    5. Open up the way for air. This can be done in many ways. I heated up knife on gas cooktop and carefully cut off the unneeded plastic(6th photo with unneeded plastic) (7th photo with plastic cut off)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6. Glue back the plastic with lots of little holes which we removed in 1st step (10th photo). You can use glues or same as I did, thin double side sticky tape(8th photo,9th photo). Just don't cover up holes you just did and speaker holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    7. Assemble everything. You can barely see that anything was done and if you are not owner of this laptop you even couldn't tell difference (11th photo). Yet it gives quite a good boost on cooling as fan can now take in like double amount of air than before.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  5. hlias_ant

hlias_ant Newbie

Reputations:
    hello, i am new at forum and i am looking for advices to upgrade my acer aspire 5739g.
    Since the thread is quite big to search it, i would like to ask what do you suggest me for
    cpu and gpu upgrade, currently i got the T6600 and the GT240
    Is the x9100 and the ati m4000 the best working parts for upgrade? or there are more options?

6. bernida

bernida Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you should get T9900 instead, same specs as X9100 but MUCH lower TDP. The thermal system is overloaded anyway, you may have to undervolt (search this thread, I did a few posts about undervolting). e.g. I was able to run my T9900 at 1.06V, and even then my laptop would overheat with prime+furmark or even linpack alone. Thats all with GT240M installed, the M4000 draws even more power

heres an old post from me
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...g-owners-lounge.588074/page-179#post-10254368

as far as GPU goes, I dont know much about it, but its important that it has a video-bios-chip on it. M4000s pulled from DELL notebooks usually do.
    there appeared to be a way to integrate vBios into your laptop's bios and reflash if you dont have a GPU with bios chip, but thats probably too complicated now

but dont expect too much, we're talking about 8-9 year old platforms
    so unless you can get your hands on a very cheap CPU/GPU or you're modding your 5739G just for fun, I'd actually recommend to save your money for a new system

7. Tromick

Tromick Newbie

Reputations:
    Should i buy ADDA or SUNON?

8. bernida

bernida Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ADDA, discussion is somewhere in the thread

9. Tromick

Tromick Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been looked them all. Just asking again. :p

10. DEE1

DEE1 Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

My acer 5739g has display issues . The first picture is what it displays before booting and the second picture with red lines is how it displays in windows background. Also, the nvidia driver does not detect the nvidia GPU 240m in it.
    I once cleaned the gpu, and the background became clear for few boots before it return back to displaying red lines.
    *note* when i cleaned it and became clear, the driver still doesn't detect the GPU.
    pls, what can i do?