Official Acer Aspire 5739G Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by tuηay, Jun 21, 2011.

1. filip_pine

filip_pine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey mate, i just post in my thread here take a look and let me know what you think... i get it to work with HD7700M drivers

2. Vyga

Vyga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yo, lately been trying to overclock my t9600 and noticed that there is no solid guide in one place how to do it, just some people mentioning that they done it somehow and it's really quite a struggle to figure out how.
    So here it is, the whole recipe in one place and probably the best thing is that you don't need to mod/flash bios, however, I still gonna use this fraze- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK .
    You will need:
    1. MemSet (i used v4.1)
    2. TrottleStop (i used v6)
    3. SetFSB (i used v2.2.134.98)
    You can google and download latest versions of these programs which probably will work too. Or use this "pack" https://goo.gl/k5m4KC .It's versions which worked on my acer.

Believe it or not RAM clocks are one of the reasons why you can't overclock(OC) CPU just with SetFSB(i sweated my pants off till I realized that...:().
    So first, using MemSet, depending on your RAM sticks, you will need to find point on which your laptop doesn't crash while no OC done yet. That point should be slightly higher numbers of latency as we gonna set higher FSB and higher FSB doesn't "like" low latency- thats why laptop crashes if we use just SetFSB to OC.
    In my case latency went like this, from 7-7-7-19 to 10-8-8-23.
    I don't know if its because of my RAM sticks or because of MemSet version but the first number (10-8-8-23) after reboot always set latency to 10 even tho i would like to try setting it at 8. Anyway, as long as laptop doesn't crash we are good...Settings in program, in my case looks like this
    [​IMG]
    If your laptop after trying out new RAM latency values crashed non-stop and you can't even revert values to original ones because laptop instantly crashes again and again, you will need to press F8 key while starting up laptop and boot into Safe Mode, when go to C:/Windows and find "MemSave" folder- delete it and start laptop normally. This happened to me too because for some reason my "Apply" button on MemSet doesn't work and I had to save new values every time which leads to that, that the new latency values are applied every time after windows starts up and if it's very unstable with these values- laptop instantly crashes.

Second, with TrottleStop at first you will need to set multiplier lower and later on try which value is stable for you. In my case it gone from 11 to 9.5 (atm).
    [​IMG]

Third, in SetFSB you will need to find PLL, for our laptop it's SLG8SP513V, click "Get FSB", set higher FSB with slider and click "Set FSB". In the end it will look like this.
    [​IMG]

All in all it might be that the only thing that limits this OC level and stability is how well you manage to set RAM settings. For now I am testing stability on settings I posted above and as for now things seems pretty stable despite few crashes if i restart laptop. So if some one with similar hardware(as in my signature) will find better RAM setting(maybe in "other timings" section on MemSet?) plz share it.

P.S. maybe some1 got MemSet v4 or v3.6 because v4.1 seem to have some issues and i can't find these older versions via google.

Edit: Apparently you need to set "Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC)" (100 in my case) in MemSet and restart laptop. After that error with setting CL automatically to 10 in 10-8-8-23 after restarts gets fixed and "Apply" button starts working too, letting to set latencies to 7-8-8-23 tho still can't choose different value than 7 on CL. Also enabling SLFM(Super Low Frequency Mode) on throttlestop seems to help to lower temp a little. Testing on these settings now.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    propolkin likes this.
  3. kalober

kalober Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys once again...
    First of all I have to say... I'm impressed that there are others that still work with this laptop and try to keep it into life... I thought I was the only one
    I've been aching to throw it away and buy a new one for over a year now, but now I say.. F*ck it... Let it go with one last hurrah, so I bought yesterday an intel x9100 chip (cooling will be a headache but I've seen lots of you have made some supporting cooling mods, I'll have to take that road too I guess) waiting for it to be shipped... Now im searching to upgrade my gpu, for what I understand, amd m4000 is the way to go... Will this be plug and play? No bios changes will be needed?
    Ps im running an nvidia 240
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-For-DELL-...3D301840376324&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

4. Vyga

Vyga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea this one should work with just PnP if photos are of same/identical card, still you will need drivers of 7770m as @propolkin mentioned many times.

Basically you look if card have bios chip or not (so far haven't seen that hp one would have chip and dell would not)

will work
    [​IMG]

won't work
    [​IMG]

kalober likes this.
  5. kalober

kalober Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your reply mate. And as far as temperatures go, will this run hotter than gt240m??

6. Vyga

Vyga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea its hotter than gt240m (23W), for 4000m(33W) you will need to find a way to blow off these extra 10W. Maybe high quality thermal pads/paste, maybe a mod. Also x9100 will be hotter too and as our laptop uses the same vent for CPU and GPU it will get even more hotter. That's a lot of extra heat there and it will need some moding, undervolting to deal with it.

kalober likes this.
  7. carolloooo

carolloooo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,when replacing the video card on the M4000, you need a patch of copper? Between the GPU and the heat sink?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. Sanek1982

Sanek1982 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think the most powerful video you can get is this one ( I know it's dell but forgot exact model number):

Attached Files:

9. Vyga

Vyga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @carolloooo doubt it would be needed, also it would be bad to add extra layer beatwean heatsink and gpu chip as it would just increase thermal resistance and you would end up with even hotter chip. However, if gpu chip deosn't touch heatsink at all you can lift the heatsink by placing something thicker (like copper/alliuminium plate+thermal pad or few layers of thermal pads) under heatpipe like in this photo.
    [​IMG]

Tho it's still good idea to have some plates laying around as you can place them over ram modules on other gpu side like this to get some extra heat dissipation
    [​IMG]

@Sanek1982 this is FirePro M5100 and its about 50W on load which is more than double of heat compared to original GT240m which is 23W, I really doubt 5739g could handle this much extra heat even with mods.

10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    With mods it would be able, but you really have to go out there.

It's W5170M, rebrand of M5100