Official Acer Aspire 5739G Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by tuηay, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SineDie

SineDie Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the welcome, propolkin.

After updating my graphics card to the latest driver, I tested my computer again, and it looks like it's the GPU's overheating that causes the shutdown. The CPU goes into 70s-80s, but the GPU goes up to 98 or so until it eventually goes over the edge and causes the shutdown. Now, to answer your questions:

1. No, I didn't. I don't have the 5739G service manual.
    2. I cleaned all of the old thermal paste from the CPU, GPU and Heatsink. For my first try, I used 91% alcohol. For the 2nd try, I used the Arctic Cleaner kit.
    3. I bent it slightly (for applying the thermal paste without having to disassemble the whole thing), like this person: http://blog.drale.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/IMG_0757-Medium.jpg
    4. I do have thermal pads on the GPU area of the Heatsink, but I'm not sure what you mean by "damaged" -- They looked OK to me, a bit like the ones shown here: http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6551/p1080957g.jpg
    5. Yes, I applied new thermal paste, and I did make sure it was a very thin layer (by using a plastic card to spread it thin as much as I could). Specially the second time around.
    6. No, I didn't clean the heatsink's radiator. In order to do that, I'd have to disassemble the laptop completely, right?

Thank you for the cooling pad suggestion. I'll read the AcFanControl guide you linked me to as well.

2. propolkin

propolkin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, SineDie, you`ve made some mistakes, that is made by almost every laptop user - you have not searched for service manual. Here you go - 5739G service manual.

1. For proper cleaning and thermal paste appli]ying you should first read it. The laptop should be fully disassambled.
    2. As always - for cleaning old thermal paste use Alcohol. Thus, this step was realized as intended.
    3. Due to specific structure of heatsink, it must NOT be bended - the cooling capabilities can be strongly decreased if it is bended. I recommend you to order new heatsink module.
    4. As I can see in the picture you provided, the thermal pads are not damaged. Talking about damaged thermal pads I mean, for instance, they are scrapped or some parts of them are one the video cards RAM chips.
    5. At this step you although have done everything as intended. Using any CPU and GT240M, the thermal paste layer has to be as thinner, as possible. For instance, if you have M4000 GPU or 6770M, the thermal paste layer should be not so thin, as with GT240M, due to smaller GPU chip.
    6. So, you should disassamble laptop fully and clean very well heatsink`s radiator.

Another helpfull links for AcFanControl:

1. Link
    2. Link - 5739G .ini. i can`t tell, if this .ini will work with your`s 5739G, I can`t test it because I`ve different parts installed in my laptop. But it is worth to give it a try.

3. bernida

bernida Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you -can- actually do it this way. when I got my T9900 replacement for my old P7450 I switched around the CPUs this way alot of times (without taking the whole laptop apart) for testing purposes. Its not really that big of a deal if you are still able to clean the surfaces well and you still can apply the paste properly. Its a matter of a) how much it goes up and b) how well coordinated you are with you hands and tools ;)
    Still for a permanent placement (and also for complete cleaning of the rills at the end of the fan) I would still recommend to take the laptop apart

also you dont "bend" (and thus destroy) the heatsink this way. it just easily lifts up that bit because the CPU heatpipe and the rest of the heatsink is only held by a little duct-tape-like thing on the end. so this is actually an okay-to-do method

still I think theres something wrong. these temps are definetely not normal. Maybe one of your heatpipes is not working correcty anymore. If you take the laptop apart you can disassemble the heatpipes from each other and from the fan and after cleaning them you can test them: hold them with your fingers where the CPU/GPU die goes normally and dip the end with the rills into some boiling/hot water. you should almost instantly feel the heat on the side you are holding them. not after maybe 30s, but like in a matter of only some seconds! then you know its working

good luck
    kind regards

4. propolkin

propolkin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As you said, bernida, for permanent replacement the notebook should be disassambled. As you remember, on that thread are some users, that using bending method decreased heatsink`s capabilities to cool the parts. For me, for instance, it is more safely to disassamble the laptop. :)

About lifting it up little. As you can see on the screenshot SineDie provided - heatsink is really bended, not just lifted up.

Although, good testing method of the heatpipe. :)

5. iain.lightbody

iain.lightbody Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys. It's been a long time since I last posted something or read through all of the pages here. I was wondering if anyone ever got a quad core part to work. I was also wondering if there was a way to change out the display to a 1080p display. Thanks in advance for your replies.

6. propolkin

propolkin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Welcome back! ;)

About quads, as I know, our 5739G`s chipset version does not support quads. tunay have tried to install QX9300, but it was not working with his 5739G. But, you should give it a try, if you have extra money for such test. :))) I can tell you that quads can be workable in our notebook, in theory, after pin-mods and BIOS modding, but, with only two cores. Maybe you have motherboard with latest PM45 version, than, quads should work.

About 1080p - I can`t give you advise in such question, I`ve not yet tried to install such display.

7. YxU

YxU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    I'm new here, but I'm following this thread for some time, but I didn't have nothing to add more.
    But today I've changed my default T6600 for P9700. I asked in Acer support but they couldn't help me find the answer is that possible to put this cpu in. Some people asked is that possible - yes, it is. And it's working great! Mostly because laptop is now quite (lower TDP).

8. propolkin

propolkin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Welcome to NBR forum!

Yeah, ACER support is not so good, as it should be. I asked them some question some time before about pm45 versions in 5739G, they couldn`t give me any useful information. By the way, P9700 is very good CPU with very low TDP. :)

9. YxU

YxU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. propolkin

propolkin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As I can see, that is not romless version. Asit is AMD, there would always be problems with drivers! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.