Official 2012 Sony S Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Petrov, Jun 9, 2012.

1. jms209

jms209 Newbie

Reputations:
    edited

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I know it's probably way too late, but I did this a while back and Vaio Control Center lost a number of functions, namely Battery Care. A few other things are also missing from Vaio CC (KB backlight control, ambient light sensor, etc).

I have tried to find a way to restore them, but after many hours, no success. About a year later (today), I tried again, also to no success (and the Sony community forums are about half broken now).

I'd recommend making a copy of the restore DVD material, and using that to reinstall the factory Windows 8 image and update that to Windows 10.

Good luck!

EDIT: to add insult to injury, the Sony Firmware Extension Parser will not install at all. One of them will, but SYNA008 will not. The Windows 8 drivers refuse to even be recognized on Windows 10 (for that specific device), and the Windows 10 drivers are just the Windows 8 drivers, lol.

EDIT2: I think I will try installing Windows 8 and going from there to see if it all works from that base.

EDIT3: Stroke of luck. I went to the Sony Asia site, hoping they would have different driver/utility policies, and they do! SYNA008 is still missing a driver, but installing the Windows 7 version of Vaio Control Center (Notebook Utilities) did the trick in Windows 10.

https://www.sony-asia.com/electroni...-svs1311-series/svs13116fg/downloads/Y0017677

My battery care is restored, as is the ambient KB backlight. Ambient screen backlight doesn't seem to be working, but it's of little concern to me - it never gave an appropriate backlight level for the ambient conditions the laptop was in.

Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 1:25 AM