Official 2012 Sony S Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Petrov, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Pohmell

Pohmell Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey i also replaced my Wi-Fi card with AC 7260.
    On next boot it was already detected as correct one and ready to use.

Speed difference is amazing and no more these annoying random Wi-Fi dropouts.

Recommend it to everyone.

SirRobin likes this.
  2. SirRobin

SirRobin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So no problem with exchange of old module? Great to read, so i think i should also do this job...

3. HighHand

HighHand Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried both AC7260 and BCM94352HMB in my S15
    Can confirm that both cards work perfectly
    And I would say speed is about the same but Broadcom got a slightly better reputation over AC7260 (not the newer AC8xxx)
    Remember to right click on 'Device Manager' and update the driver especially the Broadcom one

p.s. It have a very high chance that 3x3 cards will also work but you can only plug the left and right

olee22 and SirRobin like this.
  4. SirRobin

SirRobin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So can you give any installation hint for the 2 antenna pins on the the wifi board? Are they easy to release and reconnect to new board?

5. HighHand

HighHand Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just plug them in like the old one and ignore the middle pin
    Very straight forward
    Maybe you can diy and add a self made antenna to the middle one, not sure about this
    I have tried on other notebook but not this one

p.s. oh some wifi card may have a slightly smaller pin
    but as long as you stick to the normal AC7260 you will not go wrong

6. RefinedPower

RefinedPower Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I'm kicking myself right now for realizing this so late in the ownership of my Vaio S15. One of my main complaints about this laptop was that the audio from the speakers was pretty weak... lets say very weak. My wife and I could be watching a movie on netflix and have to be straining to hear what was going on with volume maxed out.

Well long story I just replaced my 128gb ssd with a Samsung 850 250gb and while reinstalling W7 happened upon the Dolby Home Theater V4 Application on the install list. With dolby running there is actually an appreciable improvement in Audio volume and quality. I must not have installed it before thinking it was bloat ware, but man it really makes a difference.

exProphecy likes this.
  7. exProphecy

exProphecy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So since we were all on the topic of the Intel Wireless-AC 7260, I started looking into possible upgrades to this card (since I've already had this installed for quite some time now). I saw an opportunity to purchase the newer 8265. LIKE AN IDIOT, I just jumped on it and purchased it. When I received it, I realized pretty quickly that it was too small for my slot. THEN, I saw there are adapters for M.2/NGFF (which is the newer and smaller slots for these wifi cards now) to our half card slots. Has anyone looked into this and whether or not it could be possibly used in our vaios?

Just from looking at this photo, it looks to be too tall already for it to even fit in there.. so probably not huh? :( Does anyone know an even better card than our 7260 or is this the best we can go so far?

Here's an example of an adapter for this: https://www.amazon.com/SUPERPLUS-NG...490513153&sr=1-22&keywords=ngff+m.2+adapter+E

DSC_03451.jpg

8. H-Man

H-Man Newbie

Reputations:
    Got this laptop last week, question dump:

I have a svs13aa11l chassis with a 1600x900 LCD and a bad LVDS cable, what part number should I look for on ebay, and what else should I fix while I have it apart?

What is the part number for the extended sheet battery?

Can I just use a TIM like arctic Silver 5, or do I need a thermal pad with thickness to it if I change out the TIM on the GPU and CPU? For that matter, do I need to replace any actual thermal pads in the system, or is it just wax based TIM?

And now for something completely different:

How fast does the laptop communicate with the OEM SSD (RAID 0 and single SATA device if applicable)? http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Sony-Vaio-SV-S13A1Z9E-S-Notebook.77880.0.html

Looking at that, at least the RAID0 trim get SATA 6G.
    Goal: To get SATA 6G working with standard 2.5" drives with ODD enabled and without having to put the laptop to sleep before it enables.
    How: Find what separates a system with an OEM SSD from a system with an OEM HDD.
    Hypothesis:
    Assuming that a SATA 6G SSD or SATA6G RAID0 SSD trim that uses the same board as the HDD models exists: If I was a laptop designer, instead of having to waste $$$ adding a SSD whitelist to the firmware that would need to be updated every time I changed suppliers, I would just have a pin on the motherboard's connector that would be pulled high or low for HDD operation and pulled the other way for OEM SSD operation (and thus SATA 6G)

Information needed to test hypothesis:
    Pinout of SSD cable vs HDD cable:
    Someone with a laptop equipped with a factory SSD to test continuity of the cable in order map out the pinout of the cable.
    What I want to know: What pins go through to the other side, what pins are connected together, and what pins go nowhere.
    What I will do with that information: I will compare it to the pinout of a motherboard to standard 2.5" HDD SATA connector cable.

RISK: If the cable has no active components on it and it is disconnected from both the motherboard and the SSD, there is no risk of electrical damage. Biggest danger is the risk of damaging the contacts.

Bonus goal: Be able to tack on the extra wires to tap the secord SATA port and then use a [SATA M.2 to 2.5" SATA adapter]/ [a caseless 2.5" SSD] and a 7mm HDD at the same time.

9. mikelino666

mikelino666 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! hope you guys are still using the amazing sony vaio s15 2012! I've just upgraded to Windows 10 CU and it is everything ok but stamina/speed and brightess change does not work...i followed the online guides to install the different drivers but it is still the same unfortunately.....do you know how to fix it? please help! in this situation looks that nvidia graphic card does not work even if a chose the right option inside the nvidia control panel....i hoped that was something easy to do...
    I was already with windows 10 and i did not have any problem!
    Thanks!

10. bobafett

bobafett Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This could be a driver problem. I upgraded to win10 CU and everything is OK. I use these graphic driver versions:

Intel: 10.18.10.4358 (2015-12-21)
    nVidia: 10.18.13.6822 (2016-05-19)

You could also try to reinstall Sony VAIO Hotkey Utilities for win7 from esupport.sony.com.