Offical Coffee Lake Thread/Upgrade Guide MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Huniken likes this.
  2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will be testing it, my mate has preodered it. With enough luck he will let me try it on my tornado f5 before I put it in his desktop system.

Huniken and krakr like this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think @Talon will try it for giggles, but the processor will ultimately end up in his desktop PC. I would only get one under two conditions: 1) I can buy a binned example that undervolts as well as my 8086K for less than $350 and 2) Intel announces that this will be the last series of desktop chips to use socket 1151. I hold out hope that we'll see a 10th- or 11th-generation CPU that will be 10c/20t or 12c/24t.

This was a happy accident. I was doing some benchmarking and my machine was actually failing the stress test, scoring less than 94%. That wasn't right because it passed previous runs at around 97.1%. It turns out that for whatever reason Afterburner was not using the voltage profile I had set. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to load, so I had to bite the bullet and recreate it. I went with a slightly more aggressive undervolt, and you see the result, which by the way was without using the fans at maximum speeds.

Huniken, Robbo99999 and krakr like this.
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You don't want to put a 10 or 12 core CPU in your Tornado do you!? Although would they be on a die shrink & therefore consume less watts for their number of cores? An 8 core beast is surely upgrade enough for your Tornado, you'd be doubling up on cores - that's solid! Hell, 8700K with their six cores is a fantastic achievement!

Huniken likes this.
  5. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think I will settle with my 8700K now for a long time as I see scores of 9900K having only a 6% to 15% advantage over it depending on the task from some youtube videos. Gaming being a primary function of my machine and media creation, 8700K I see it as it fits the bill nicely. Now it's a matter of days before I install it in my laptop then run the benchmarks.

Robbo99999 likes this.