Offical Coffee Lake Thread/Upgrade Guide MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jul 30, 2018.

1. jonathanfv

jonathanfv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Talon, that's pretty awesome! Did the 9900K require the exact same steps to upgrade as the other processors tested on this thread? Including the bits of tape on the connectors?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Had some misadventures over the weekend. I was playing some games and suddenly got victimized by the WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error BSOD. Long story short, it seems to have been caused by a combination of Speed Shift, Speed Step, ThrottleStop, and the undervolt I was running. Disabling Speed Step and enabling Speed Shift in BIOS and adjusting the undervolt in ThrottleStop seems to be working so far. The CPU boosts back up to 4.4 GHz on all cores with no more crashes so far running games or the 3DMark stress test. In fact, whatever changes I made seem to have boosted the latter from around 98.4-98.7% up to 99.1% on its most recent run.

3. Duckstars

Duckstars Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! Were did you find a motherboard at that price? I was almost buying one from eurocom but when they gave me the price and i saw your post i was like no ripping of me!
    I have a Msi gt62vr 7re dominator with a on-board 7700k and i want to change motherboard so i can change cpu.

4. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I found it on eBay through a Spanish seller. He said it was untested but seemed working, I bought it off him and the motherboard worked fine no bent pins burn marks anything. He probably didn’t have a machine to test it in.

In other words I got lucky I don’t think you will ever find it that cheap unless you are constantly checking eBay.

One thing that helped was typing in the model number of the motherboard like ms-16l13...

FrozenLord, Papusan and IllusiveMan like this.
  5. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey there,

I have just stumbled across this thread that seems to offer a newer version of the modded bios :)
    While I have been quietly following this thread, I would like to update to the modded bios.
    However, it has been rather quiet regarding the modded bios.
    Is the modded, updated version (MSI BIOS ACTUAL FINAL.zip) usable 24/7 or are there certain caveats that an interested user should keep in mind?

Thank you very much for the time and effort you put into this!

6. Huniken

Huniken Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not seeing any problems or BSOD since I modded the BIOS and upgraded CPU to an 8700K.

FrozenLord likes this.
  7. mat89

mat89 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No problems at all with modded bios and the CPU. Everything runs flawlessly, no single unexpected BSOD since upgrade.

FrozenLord likes this.
  8. Devid

Devid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I need to find the location of the BIOS chip which is marked by a 'red' dot, but my motherboard have two chips marked red..
    One inside Cmos , and one inside Wi-Fi module..

Thanks
    Regards Devid[​IMG][​IMG]

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's probably a dual BIOS design.

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's not.
    On the GT73VR, Prema said that the second 'red dot' chip is the TB3 chip and is *NOT* bus isolated! Which means it is *NOT* safe to read unless it is desoldered !
    I think that chip is a 1 mbit chip or something (or 1024MB i forgot), while the main bios chip is around 8192 MB.

FrozenLord and Devid like this.