Offical Coffee Lake Refresh Upgrade Guide For MS-16L1/L3 (Eurocom Tornado F5) & MS-1T11 Vortex PC

Discussion in 'MSI' started by DaMafiaGamer, Feb 18, 2019.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome project!

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  2. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    I’m still waiting around to find a good deal on a 9700K to start the project for my Vortex lol... the market is still expensive still for that model.

3. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    When modding the F5 bios to support Coffee lake, and so on, we notice a few things, for starters your bioses are all broken still. But not unfixable.

As a project someone wanted an F5 with a 8700K from me so we recently went down this path not too long ago ourselves. With our delidding and such, thermals were great, we got no higher then mid 70's when running cinebench and usually like 45-55C on the CPU when running synthetic benches like firestrike etc.

Anyways, until you catch the thing we caught in your bios, people won't be able to use it, but I commend your effort, and good luck on it. The F5's we sell with similar support added have really opened our eyes to what we should be doing next (thus why we are trying to address fixes for clevo rather then sell modded F5's)

And incase anyone thinks otherwise, we only started and used the stock bios, we didn't use anyone else's work. We can offer it, but we don't, or we have not decided what to do with it.

So just saying this laptop can still throw more punch then a P775 for example, when done right, but it's all aftermarket upgrades, but maybe we can help the Clevo's too.

Even managed to fix some GPU related issues, but I don't have many links I can share, as the customer didn't really ask me to take notes nor did I ask to share everything, but as an example here is a firestrike, though with only a 8700 CPU and stock, it's not exactly the end setup, but you can see our 1070 beats a 1080 now too, and temps are great, but in this bench we didn't even hit full usage.

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18779163

that's how things go, so while the merit of this sort of bios upgrade is great, we have a few people working on it to perfect it, and I advise people who are looking into this persons bios he is offering, to be warned he seems to be missing some things that might not only possible brick your system in the end, but if not, all your devices will not work. So I urge caution, until he at the least presents he has fixed the issue ( and he is a well known bios modder so he most likely will fix it in the end, he is not some newb), or get your upgraded bios from somewhere or someone who has figured it out, or do it yourself if your the next thing.,

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    FrozenLord, Aroc and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  4. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is the exact reason why I tell people to keep a sky pro handy just in case things get messy. Side note, no one has yet complained of any major issues with this bios, my friends and @dsanke being a few of them.

And yes the tornado f5 is such a capable device, with the right modifications this beast could handle a 9900k too. Just shows that things were made right since the beginning (overkill VRMs, amazing cooling etc) these things come in handy later on. I fully believe this machine is better than any other 15’’ Clevo laptop, main reason being the keyboard, sound quality and design. (If only the fans could be part of the advantages)...

Thanks for your info +rep

5. rancid

rancid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @DaMafiaGamer Have you heard of anyone that has successfully ran an i7-9700k? I had purchased a 9900k when they first came out and planned on testing it in the F5, but held off and looks like that was a smart decision. I am on the fence now if purchasing an 8086k vs the 9700k and really want the 9700k, but haven't seen anyone pop one in the F5 yet. Do you think the thermals will be able to handle it with stock clocks?

6. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    This laptop will successfully run a 9700k and I advise you stay with it too. The 9700k has very good thermals, no need to delid due to soldered ihs, it has 8 true cores which beat out a 8086k’s 6 cores and 12 threads.
    2 more cores vs 4 more threads = cores out muscle the threads.
    More power efficiency too due to no hyperthreading and newer architecture.
    The 9700k is always going to be better than the 8086k which is more of an overclocked 8700k.

Aroc likes this.
  7. Patrck_744

Patrck_744 Burgers!

Reputations:
  8. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    The bioses have been updated, some fixes have been made.

'TF' in the bios stands for Terrance-force laptops, basically the equivalent to our normal MSI/Eurocom laptops but with a chinese rebrand.

9. Alex Etrel

Alex Etrel Newbie

Reputations:
    Tell me, what corrections were made? What has been fixed? I have already managed to put the previously exposed BIOS from 02/10/2019. Is it worth it to upgrade to the BIOS version of 04/14/2019? I have not bought all the necessary components for my laptop MS 16L1 so I did not have time to check how the laptop works.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  10. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Power limits have been optimised to stop crashes and potentially bricking these systems. It’s probably a good idea flashing this bios.

FrozenLord and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.