Offical Coffee Lake Refresh Upgrade Guide For MS-16L1/L3 (Eurocom Tornado F5) & MS-1T11 Vortex PC

Discussion in 'MSI' started by DaMafiaGamer, Feb 18, 2019.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    DISCLAIMER: This mod is NOT officially supported on the MSI 16L1/16L13 laptop and MSI 1T11 Vortex, YOU assume all the risk and liability by attempting this on your own laptop. This thread was created merely to show how I completed the MOD on my own laptop successfully.

PLEASE NOTE: i9 processors are NOT supported sadly as these laptops as well as several other clevos are limited to 12 THREADS ONLY. A 16 thread i9 9900k or any other i9 16 thread variant WILL NOT WORK in the above stated computers you will be stuck on the bios splash screen!

Also remember: The CPU mod only works on skylake, kabylake and coffee lake/refresh CPU's as of now, future cannon lake CPU's MAY be supported with an updated BIOS mod.

The modified BIOS has been included!

Things you WILL need:
    A USB stick, preferably formatted to fat32, to flash bios firmware
    A SPI flasher with BIOS 8 pin clip (pomona clip) just in case BIOS cannot be flashed through firmware update due to 'fpt error message'
    The BIOS of course, choose the one compatible with your model, you may have the msi 16l1 or msi 16l13 laptop or the msi 1T11 vortex mini pc you can check on the back of the laptop/mini pc or in dxdiag in windows to view the model name.
    A coffee lake refresh CPU, preferably a tested one, such as an i5 9600k or i7 9700k, although all coffee lake refresh cpu's in hindsight SHOULD work EXCEPT FOR ALL i9 VARIANTS as all microcodes have been added for pentium, i3, i5 and i7 coffee lake refresh cpu's.

BEFORE YOU START

Make a backup of your bios, or have a backup ready just in case anything goes wrong.
    Make sure you have a SPI flash programmer handy, you may not need it but it is always useful to have if you brick the laptop bios.
    Make sure you DO NOT UPDATE your Intel management engine firmware at all, this will block coffee lake CPU recognition!

THE PROCESS

You will first need to try and flash the bios through the USB method as listed below:

1) Enter BIOS , and press Right Ctrl->Right Shift->Left Alt->F2 to unlock options.
    2) Change 4 values
    a) Security->Secure Boot->Attempt Secure Boot->Disabled
    b) Advanced->PCH-IO Configuration->Security Configuration->BIOS Lock->Disabled
    c) Advanced->PCH-FW Configuration->ME State->Disabled
    d) Boot->Boot mode select->UEFI
    3) Unplug all your SSD and HDD
    4) Put EFI folder to your FAT32 USB Flash Disk , put bios file to EFI/Boot folder , and boot to it
    5) Wait for startup.nsh executes, and then type "open", press enter.
    6) Shutdown and wait 3 seconds , then boot to USB Flash Disk again.
    7) Wait for startup.nsh execute, and then type "fpt -d backup.bin" , press enter to backup .
    8) Type "fpt -f BIOS.bin -rewrite -y" , press enter to flash new bios .
    9) Type "fpt -greset" press enter to let ME and BIOS install.

If you cannot do this (you keep receiving fpt error message), try the SPI programmer , make sure to backup before you flash.

If the above method DOES NOT work you will need to use the SPI flash programmer, I used a SkyPro specifically but any bios programmer should work, just remember to note down the details of your bios chip so they can be entered into the flashing software as shown below:
    Please note: Your BIOS chip details will be different to the ones shown below!

[​IMG]

You will need to find the location of the BIOS chip which is marked by a 'red' dot as shown in the image below, put the clip on the bios chip, the first red wire on the 8 pin clip should face the small embedded circle you can see on the chip:
    Please note: The 'embedded' circle is NOT the red dot!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now all you have to do is open the bios file from the EXTRACTED .7z folder and flash it, click on 'auto' as it does the whole process manually including erasing, writing and verifying.

And that's it for the software!

Time for the pin mod:

This is practically very simple to do and I will show a diagram of it here, you need to isolate two pins as shown below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can isolate these 2 contact pins using kapton tape, or any tape for that matter, just DO NOT COVER ANY OTHER PINS. I accidentally did that and got many bsods on load!

The reason we do not need to SHORT the two pins at the top is because we have already injected the bios and microcode into the motherboard, therefore the coffee lake cpu should be recognized just fine!

And that is it! You can now carefully put the processor into the socket, put the heatsink back on and watch as the computer boots with it's beastly new coffee lake cpu installed.

BENCHMARKS

Benchmarks coming soon! ;)

WHICH PROCESSOR SHOULD I BUY?

Personally I only see two processors that are viable for this coffee lake refresh mod in the first place.
    Those processors being the i5-9600K and i7-9700K.
    The i5 has 6 cores and 6 threads whilst the i7 has 6 cores and 12 threads.

Advantages of the i5-9600K over the i5-8600K:
    Literally 5 to 10% faster, I strongly recommend buying the i5 8600k and delidding unless you really want a soldered IHS and slightly higher base clock speeds!

Advantages of the i7-9700K over the i7 8700k (note the 9700k is the successor of the 8700k):
    The processor has 8 'true' cores compared to 6 cores + 12 threads, can lead to overall better performance, especially in rendering and benchmarks (most people agree that a 9700k is slightly faster in most multi-core workloads than an i7 8700k).
    Games run slightly better on the i7 1-5fps difference in most games, hyper-threading isn't utilised well.
    Comes soldered, the coffee lake cpu's do not have this feature!
    One of the best intel cpu's you can use right now, if you are an enthusiast this is the option for you!

Hope this can help you decide which CPU to buy!

LINK & CREDIT GIVEN

Coffee Lake Refresh Bios is available here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1stpae3UChJe8rTuZICz7weA7jBeFW5W4

Credit is due to @dsanke for providing the BIOS, donate to him via PayPal, he worked hard to make a fully functioning bios for us: dsanke1997@gmail.com

If you want to donate to me feel free, more BIOS mods coming in the near future :):

http://paypal.me/ZeeshanAkhlaq

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    All ES coffee lake refresh processors are supported as the microcodes have been added to the new bios thanks @dsanke

i9 processors will still not work though!

FrozenLord likes this.
  3. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Will this work for the Vortex G65 ?

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  4. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Yes that is essentially the ms-1T11

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  5. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
    Sweeeeet. So the Vortex can essentially go up to an i7-9700K ? And just required to do softmod?

6. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    Yep, if you do the mod please share some screenshots. It would be very useful for the thread :)

7. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Reputations:
    No problem. I have to get the cpu first. I have to see if I can get it for cheap. Hunting fleaBay lol

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  8. qwerty8224

qwerty8224 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i5 6600k работает с этим ;)биосом (16L1 прошивается через флешку)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  9. DaMafiaGamer

Reputations:
    I wish I could of had an 8700k in my Lenovo y910 all in one. Quite possibly the best all in ones I have ever owned, desktop gpu and cpu not to mention an 80 plus platinum rated psu.

Also I thought the vortex came with as a default option with i5 6600k?

10. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Excellent write up @DaMafiaGamer !! Very useful for those looking to upgrade to Coffee Lake or Refresh 9th gen. The 9700K with a soldered CPU is an excellent pairing with this beast.

@dsanke Thanks again for your continued help and support.

dsanke and DaMafiaGamer like this.