OCZ Vertex4 vs Agility4 vs Samsung 830?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by junkiejungwoo, Jul 24, 2012.

?

Which ssd?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2012.
  1. Vertex 4

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Agility 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Samsung 830

21 vote(s)
    91.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junkiejungwoo

junkiejungwoo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    which is better im planning to buy any of them depending on which one is better, the prices are pretty similar where I live so yeah.
    any benchmarks, battery life concerns, heat, etc... will be taken into account!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think your biggest concern should be reliability. Who wants probs like BSODs, problems w/sleep or total data loss? Perf of the Samsung 830 is more than adequate.

I wouldn't bother w/Sandforce or anything from OCZ.

Most here would also say consider the Crucial M4.

3. junkiejungwoo

Reputations:
    im kind of a noob when it comes to ssds but ive heard about bsods and problems on crucial too if im right

4. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Samsung 830 stands above the rest. I don't know about these new offerings from OCZ, known devil is better than unknown angels.

5. yrc

yrc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Samsung 830 would be my choice. BTW, the Vertex 4 and the Agility 4 use what OCZ calls an IndiLinx (Sp?) controller. From what I understand, this is a firmware customized by Indilinx on a Marvell controller. Even so, the Samsung 830 would be my preference from the 3 above.

As for Crucial...I have two Crucial m4 drives on different systems; never had a BSOD (had one for 4 months, the other for a month). In the scheme of things, my individual experience doesn't mean anything. most ppl on this board would agree that the Crucial m4 is a solid, reliable SSD. Of course, some ppl have had problems with them, but most of them seem to have been fixed by the latest firmware update.

6. junkiejungwoo

Reputations:
    yeah for some reason (im in korea), the crucial m4 seems to be the most expensive out of the four , and samsung is around 120-110$ for 128 so its pretty good :D

7. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Before I had some issues with the Intel 510 SSD using the Marvell controller on my notebook but after changing to the Samsung 830 SSD I had absolutely no problems since so I would recommend it, especially with the price drops for the 830's of late.

8. mastypk

mastypk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Add Crucial M4 :). Else, there will be all votes to Samsung 830 :p

9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I can't vote for any of them (but the 830 would be the one if I was forced to...) because of the concerns you have for battery life.

The Samsung 830 is one of the highest power requirement SSD's I have seen - even more than HDD's...

At idle, they're not so bad (very good actually) but I don't buy SSD's to have them idle - I buy them to make them work (and work hard). In that scenario the 830 are the worst in power requirements.

In a desktop, I would have no reservations including them in a build - in a notebook that I want to last as long as possible on battery power - I would (and do...) skip the 830's.

My vote goes for a (256GB) M4 which you say is more expensive; but I say you get what you pay for.

Good luck.

10. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you post a link or source to the claim that Samsung's 830 consumes more energy than an HDD?

My vote goes for the 830, even with its "high" energy consumption. Samsung has built a bulletproof SSD which won't let you down (99.9% reliable). I would take an SSD's reliability record first into account before its energy consumption.

I think you're exaggerating a bit. Most people do "hard work" plugged in anyways. If you're constantly performing writes and working the SSD hard while on the go then you're going to run out of battery pretty fast regardless of which SSD you're using and you're not going to be doing it on battery alone. What will be the battery life difference? I don't know, but I presume not much, maybe 5, 10, or 30 minutes at most? Battery life can be affected by many other variables as well and not just the energy consumption of the SSD.

If the absolute lowest energy consumption (longest battery life) is what you're after, then the M4 shouldn't even be recommended as there's others that surpass it like the Plextor M3 Pro 256GB.

AnandTech - Plextor M5S 256GB Review

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: I liked this response from R3d regarding the energy consumption between the 830 and M4 and thought it easily fit with my response. I agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.