OCZ Vertex drop-in replacement?

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by Eric618, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric618

Eric618 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys. I'm most likely going to splurge on an OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 60GB SSD drive in the near future. Is this a simple drop-in replacement on my P-7811? I'm aware of the tweaks, FW uopdates, etc I need to do. I'm more concerned with it dropping right in the bay. Do I need other hardware, etc, like you do with the Samsung drives?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. AGlobalThreatsK

AGlobalThreatsK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No you do not need any other hardware. It will fit perfectly into the bracket and into the bay. Nice choice of SSD, I want a 120GB Vertex next.

3. Eric618

Eric618 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very cool. Thank you!

4. tului

tului Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just keep in mind before you "drop it in" and start using it that you're gonna want to update the firmware. That won't be hard as you can just put it in as the secondary drive. One question, I don't know if the 7811's do RAID0, but if they do why not spend a bit more for 2 30GB's and RAID them.

5. madmook

madmook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just got a 120gb vertex and put it in my 6860fx, and all is well. It came with 1199 firmware, which is apparently two versions behind, as there was 1275 and now its 1.10. grrrrrrrrrr

Too bad it didn't come with that little jumper thingy required to do a firmware upgrade, otherwise I might've done so.

6. tului

tului Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From what I read that jumper is no longer required. Not sure if its for new drives with new boards or not. You didn't feel enterprising enough to wrap some aluminum foil around the pegs to "jumper" them? The performance difference is that big I'd say its worth it. I suppose you could solder them together too.

7. iaTa

iaTa Do Not Feed

Reputations:
    Have you not got an old motherboard or 3.5" drive which will have some you can use?

8. Lum-X

Lum-X Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any benchmarks! It would be nice if someone will post them or just a smal review how it with OCZ Vertex

9. Mormegil83

Mormegil83 I Love Lamp.

Reputations:
    There is a review on the home page!!! check out the hardware forums and the ssd sticky for some real info and read anandtech's latest SSD article. it's all there jsut gotta look...

There is a good chance of data curruption ussing the 1199 firmware. if you do back up daily at least. I would make it a point to upgrade to latest firmware... also the latest manufactured drives don't need the jumper. I def wouldn't solder the pins! how would you get it off!?

10. Elenthir

Elenthir Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just ordered the same Vertex (needs some weeks, before it will hit my 7811 fx though).
    Can we collect some input and experiences here usable for all those bold enough to go SSD already.
    I will use the Vertex as the OS drive and put my favorit game on it.
    All the other stuff I am planning on putting on the inbox HDD (which I will use as a slave - if this is possible...) Has anyone done this allready, and if yes, please let tell, how it worked :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.