OCZ Solid 3 Series 120GB Review

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by notyou, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Can you tell more about this? Which resellers?

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    XoticPC and Powernotebooks only offer it on certain models rather than across their entire product lines. Mythlogic and Malibal do not appear to carry it at all. Whether or not they ever offered them is anyone's guess, but I have to believe they're aware of the reliability issues. As far as I can tell, both companies don't appear to carry any Sandforce-based drives. Myth has Marvell and Intel drives; Malibal appears to be sticking with Intel. I can't say I blame them.

3. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Pman from Kobalt computers wrote:
    I asked him
    He responded:
    And
    Plus Mythlogic, MALIBU, Fortnaxnotebooks and lpc-digital which all don`t have any SF-drives. There is one reseller that also had a story to tell about the SF SSDs but I forgot where I have read it. It was somewhere in this forum too.

4. Peon

Peon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think I'm going to give up on playing the devil's advocate. It's clear that people have very strong emotions when it comes to Sandforce and nothing's going to change that.

I will say one final thing though: As much as I dislike how some people treat Sandforce drives like gold while ignoring all the problems, I equally dislike how others act like every Sandforce drive is going to fail. Frankly, neither is the truth - countering one form of misinformation with another won't help a potential buyer who's looking for actual facts to base a buying decision on.

We're trying to help people choose the SSD they believe will best serve their needs, with a complete understanding of the pros and cons of their decision, not manipulate them into buying the SSD we like. At least, I hope that's the case.

5. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    misinformation ? what misinformation ? No one is saying the majority of SF will fail. I have been saying long ago both on here and OCZ's forum(I once owned a SF for 2 days) that they have serious known compability issue with certain machines and adviced people to check before buying to avoid the frustration.

6. Peon

Peon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Reread your very first post on this thread and tell me it doesn't sound apocalyptic.

At any rate, I'm done here. The others are either picking and choosing points that work to their advantage in order to make their arguments seem stronger or they're not even responding to what I actually said but what they think I said. For instance, you're the only one who fully understood that majority =/= everyone, not even close.

7. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    I'm all for providing accurate information without emotions.

I think some of the information supplied wasn't accurate though. Saying "the majority of SF-2xxx SSD owners have never had any problems with their drive" is a pretty wild assumption without having done the counting.

Excluding two drives (over 100 reviews) that have way more problems because they are "outlyers" seems a strange practice to me. Now I can somewhat understand the case for Corsair Force 3 because it has been recalled, but I don't understand the case for OCZ Agility 3.

The majority never experienced failure probably. I would agree with that. But "never any problems"? I doubt that is accurate. OCZ firmware went up from 2.01 to 2.09 for a reason.

Now I would love see someone do an accurate counting, but as long as those countings haven't been I suggest we don't make assumptions like that.

8. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    the majority of people don't die because of HIV. the majority doesn't die because of car accidents. or smoking. or *insert what ever you like*.

so they are all no issues?

the problem is, a big chunk of ocz/sandforce users DO have issues. unlike for other ssds or even hdds. and THAT matters. not those without problems. those with. and there are much more of those with ocz/sandforce.

and the second thing, and this is why it gets personal, is: ocz cheats on their customers in all ways they can. denying replacements, deleting posts in their forii when asking for help, etc. just read up on ocz and anandtech in the elder days. their behaviour is absolutely ridiculous and not the way you can trust on.

if i buy something i want to be able to a) trust the device, and b) trust the manufacturer in case of an issue.

both not really possible in case of ocz/sandforce.

9. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It is a analogy. If someone say 'you are a dead man', are you going to call 911 then ask them to charge him attempted murder ?

The majority of Toyota owners drive their car everyday safely and they had the largest recall in history so just saying majority means nothing. If there is a systemic issue, it is going to hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.