OcUK Limited Edition P170EM Vs XMG P722

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by ArmageddonAsh, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmageddonAsh

ArmageddonAsh Mangekyo Sharingan

Reputations:
    So im looking for a New laptop and i am looking at these 2 models, i cant really decide what one to go for though.

Specs wise i would go for similar builds - I7, 7970m, 16GB ram.

They both have different benefits:

P17OEM:

+ Games Bundle worth about £100
    + Fast Build Time (upto 1 day)

- Only 2 Hard drive slots
    - Not as customizable

XMG P722

+ More customizable
    + More Hard drive slots

- No Free Games Bundle
    - Case Lid not plain
    - More Expensive

I have been looking at the 15inch models as well, but even there i am still not quite sure where i should be spending my money. The Games Bundle is a pretty solid deal with the games worth like £100 so that reduces the real cost of the system.

However the chassis used in the P17OEM seems to be slightly different to the XMG chassis with more limited RAM, only 2 hard drive slots an only 1 graphics card slot - not sure if the XMG has 2 slots if you pick a single card configuration.

So what do you guys think? Anyone bought any laptops from either company?

2. MrDJ

MrDJ Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    the P722 is a beast and one of a few only available with the option of dual graphics. also check out the P702 which is the 17" version of what ive got .

edited from other thread:
    the P722 is the daddy of all beasts with 2 gpu slots and upto 4 hard drives. 2 internal, 1 msata and 1 optical bay with caddy instead of the disc drive.
    the P702 has 1 gpu and still upto 4 hard drives.
    the P502 in my sig below has 1 gpu and upto 3 hard drives, 1 internal, 1 mata and 1 optical bay.

slightly jumping up your original budget range aren't you just a tad

3. ArmageddonAsh

Reputations:
    Yeah, seems like a quality Laptop - how big is yours? Is it heavy?
    Thats a sick build you have, must have been expensive lol

4. MrDJ

Reputations:
    its about the same weight as my previous m860tu and not as heave as your 9262

below cost me £2006

i know your tempted :D

5. ArmageddonAsh

Reputations:
    Good to know, funny how in a matter of a few days i have gone from wanting a laptop for a couple of months while my Desktop (upgraded from sig rig) to wanting a full Gaming laptop :/ lol

what do you think of the support you got from MySN? is the build quality good? Just not sure what to get, shame OcUK doesnt offer the double GPU model as i like the deal they have when buying AMD graphics card.

Whats your view on the gaming/performance of your build? Not exactly sure what graphics card to get been a long time since looking for a Laptop remember way back when and the 8800GTX was the daddy of all mobile graphics hahaha

6. MrDJ

Reputations:
    ahh the 8800gtx, my first ever real graphics card. :)

the support has been top notch so far.
    as i bought on the first day of buisiness for the uk office the lappy came from germany. i did have an issue with heat and both cpu and gpu were re pasted for me just as a precaution the same day at the uk office. was also given a new kettle lead as the original had a german plug on it.
    any problems ive managed to get through to live support within 3-4 minutes and one time even at gone 11pm at night.
    cant get much better than that.

7. ArmageddonAsh

Reputations:
    Sounds good - just kinda disappointed that they dont offer the AMD games bundle with the 7970m cards like other places such as OcUK.

PCS does seem to have good prices as well for XFire7970 builds, but not sure if that would be over kill and trying to just find the best build in as small as a chassis as possible which isnt easy :(

8. MrDJ

Reputations:
    check their warranty as its very misleading.
    tbh i think a twin gpu would be overkill unless you would be doing really demanding things and not just gaming.
    if you want a 17" then the P702 or the 15" like mine and then spend the extra on a speedy ssd.

9. ArmageddonAsh

Reputations:
    Yeah i was thinking that DualGTX are a bit to much. Do you consider your laptop portable?

10. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    I'd agree with DJ here.the P170EM is enough. The P370EM is great if you need the power, but the extra weight of laptop and power brick makes portability a problem.
    The P170 is acceptably portable, though not light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.