occasional gaming laptop, quiet in idle

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Havod, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Havod

Havod Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I had to edit my post, because at first, I didn't notice the buyers guide. I hope in some advice this time, my post has now better structure.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Around 1500 dollars

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Czech republic

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not really, but I'm happy with my acer I own now, so I guess I do like acer.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Work (that is excel/word mostly), browsing, movies

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both, but mostly just from one room to another.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    All types of games, old ones, new ones, that is COH2, RDR2, Skyrim, Fallouts, Outer worlds etc.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Don't really care, I have notebook plugged in almost all the time.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I will buying it online without seeing it.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    FHD is good enough

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte is better

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    They are not.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1TB of SSD would be okay to start with, with possible upgrade in the future

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    In the next 1-2 weeks.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3-5 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Up to 2-3 weeks, give or take

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Don't really know.

As I said before editing this post, I would really like some laptop, that would be ideally completely quiet (fans off) while browsing, using word and excel, maybe even watching some movies, like was my acer nitro V15, but one that could handle better games on higher details, I'm thinking something like GTX 1660 Ti, max rtx 2060, I don't think I will get better one in this price range. I tried Omen by HP 15 and Acer helios 300, first one had really loud fans even in idle, the second one had weird high pitch noice coming up from fans, though, they were much quieter then the ones in omen. Without that weird noice, I would be propably okay with it.
    Also, I would really like to have numeric keyboard, but its not a deal breaker if it wouldn't have it..
    I thought that mayber acer nitro 7 could match this, but I wanted to ask you guys, if you have experience with it or with something else, that would much my requirements.
    Thanks again for any answers.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. Havod

Havod Newbie

Reputations:
    I edited my post with some better structure, I will be glad for any advice :)

3. RefinedPower

RefinedPower Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You could check out the Lenovo Y540. Not sure what it goes for in the Czech Republic, but its around $1000-$1200 in the states for a nice GTX 1660ti configuration. A couple reviews say it idles around 29db which is close to ambient sound levels. It does have a numeric keypad I think.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Dell has its G-series laptops like the G7 15, so you could look at that. There's also the Lenovo Legion Y545.

For MSI, look at the GS65 series.

Charles

5. CocoLoco

CocoLoco Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No one has addressed your quiet requirement. In today's world, this is a problem with "gaming" laptops.

1. Most have "circuit whine". For instance, on my Aero 17, it chirps like a mouse any time it's plugged in -- unless turbo boost is turned off. Including charging. This seems to be the case for most six core i7 CPUs.
    2. Fan management software from most gaming makers is awful for other things. Again, example from Gigabyte: Quiet mode is only way to get fans off for normal tasks, but CPU is throttled in this mode. (No reason for this, just short-sighted design.) I have t switch modes to get full use of CPU. Needless to say, this interrupts your work flow.
    I am about to sell my 9750H Aero 17 and go back to my old quad core XPS 15 and wait for a couple of years. Not as fast, but at least it runs quietly and with normal temperature-based fan controls. Pretty depressing situation for laptops these days actually.

Separate from the fan/noise issues, I would get one of the new TongFang-based laptops now. Very light, large batteries, reasonably priced, etc.

p.s. I did read recently on another thread that MSI fan controls are more flexible.

6. Unityofrace

Unityofrace Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, am looking for a similar notebook for mainly ms office use but working while travelling, so with very good or exchangable battery, no fan (or one that switches on only under heavy use of graphic power e.g. the fan of a graphic card), 13-14", and if possible 90 or 120 hz screen rate. Any ideas?

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Please create a separate thread, filling out the form here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/what-should-i-buy-form-must-read-before-posting.29271/

8. bujok

bujok Newbie

Reputations:
    I would also go with Lenovo Y540.