O&O ShutUp10 - Do not use Windows 10 without it!

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Phoenix, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You get Synaptics settings? All I get is the default Windows options. The only way I can get Synaptics stuff is if I disable I2S(?) and install the standard driver - which is horribly imprecise and lags like crazy on my machine.

Back on topic… hope the driver disabling works this time out. I'm constantly having to roll back my intel gfx driver

2. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is just perfect!
    Thank you for sharing this.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Phoenix likes this.
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    On my previous Clevos, their driver version of Synaptics didn't have the dedicated synaptics settings app however on my MSI GT73VR Titan Pro, the Synaptics driver has the full fledged settings menu which is much easier to change settings than the Windows crap

the driver is in this thread if you wanna try it out:

MSI GT73VR 7RF TITAN PRO Drivers

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I2C. If you have an SMB touchpad you are using the wrong driver is you are using the I2C driver. That being enabled may be causing a conflict on you system. Perhaps that is the problem.

The documentation on this stuff it poor and I found this out through trial and error. I am not sure what machine you have, but you might want to try using the SMB driver if you are using the I2C touchpad driver and it is not working well for you. Also, be sure you are using the touchpad driver versus clickpad driver because those are not the same device. A clickpad is one of those nasty abortions with no discrete buttons, like what Dell is using on most of their products (Apple wannbe junk). A touchpad is the type with buttons. That documentation is also unclear. If you use the clickpad driver with a touchpad it won't work right and the option to automatically disable it when a mouse is connected will be gone.

I am strictly a mouse guy and absolutely despise using touchpads. I almost never use it except as a last resort... maybe 5 minutes over the course of a year. But, I still want it the way I want it and not how the Redmond Mafia thinks I need to have it.
    That is because the driver version Clevo uses is the cancer trash that Micro$loth recommends. The driver version recommended by the Redmond Mafia integrates it with Settings because the P870DM3 has a "Precision Touchpad" (whatever that is supposed to mean). This is one of the reasons I rarely ever use drivers provided by an OEM. I find my own drivers and I'm better off without the "features" they think I need.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Papusan and Phoenix like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    @Token CDN - try going here (you'll need IE because the Redmond Nazis will not let you use Chrome) - http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=synaptics

Scroll down to the highlighted driver for SMB. The one above it called "Pointing Device" is I2C. That is the SMB Touchpad driver I am using that gives me the system tray icon instead of burying it in the Settings app.
    tp.JPG

steberg and Token CDN like this.
  6. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have an I2C (or as MS calls it "precision") touchpad - or as you correctly pointed out clickpad (Acer Nitro BE). The smb drivers don't install unless I disable I2C in BIOS, and like I said smb sucks anyways. I'm a mouse guy myself, so I only use the pad when I'm unplugged and away from a desk, but it'd be nice to get the scroll area back (not a fan of 2 finger scrolling - really miss my ancient Toshiba that had a proper scroll wheel - or the other forced MS gestures)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    OK, then you may still have the wrong clickpad driver. Scroll through the list and try another one at http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=synaptics

Or, it is possible Acer pulled a Dell on you and used some proprietary piece of junk like an Alps clickpad that only works correctly with their crappy OEM-branded proprietary drivers. My wife's XPS 15 has a clickpad and while the machine is gorgeous and well made, it takes no more than about 3 seconds before I am in a foul mood if I have to use that clickpad abortion. She is used to it now, but she had a hard time putting up with it at first. I never would have accepted it and just used a mouse. It's truly miserable to use the clickpad.

Yup, I hate gestures too. Gestures drive me nuts and I disable all of that garbage. I don't even like to have tapping enabled. That's what buttons are for. Touchpad/clickpad gestures are the computer version of obscene gestures in my book. They suck.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Papusan, Phoenix and Token CDN like this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Gestures are a recipe to drive any human being insane [​IMG]

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On any device other than a MacBook Pro or Surface Book, yes. It's virtually impossible for me to go back and forth between the trackpads on my Windows devices and work MacBook Pro - the latter is so much better, it's not even in the same galaxy.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Here is one reason why using Windows 10 without O&O ShutUp is a really bad idea. These are the latest published disclosures from the Redmond Mafia. Bear in mind, this is only what they think we have a right to know about want us to know about.

Windows 10, version 1703 Diagnostic Data | TechNet

Windows 10, version 1703 basic level Windows diagnostic events and fields | TechNet

Bottom line: until there is an option to configure zero data collection, Windows 10 will continue to be a joke that requires end user hacking to be a palatable product.

[​IMG]