]]>

NVMe vs. SATA SSDs for Gamers

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by Phoenix, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    That's a negative, had an Intel 750 1.2TB NVMe SSD on my previous desktop, boots slow as a turtle....same thing, takes ages to initialize during POST

That desktop was an Origin PC Millennium with a 5930K CPU overclocked to 4,5 GHz and an ASUS X99 Deluxe motherboard.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Papusan and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    lol whats with the videos you pick rofl. i seriously doubt these guys know what they are doing. ive got reviewers showing me they boot from nvme ssds in under 11 sec, cold boot, no sleep files enabled and all those jazz etc. and then their optane ssd coldboot in less than 8 sec, pretty crazy what they can do when they choose the right mobo with good bios and good storage device.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i guess i have to dig through some stuff i got from ssd reviewers for you lol. btw intel's ssd is known for its reliability and steady state performance. also it's 4k random write performance, top notch.

4. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Steady state performance doesn’t help very much in boot:D More for more demanding tasks:p HeHe
    Even the worst ssd trash can boot up your OS quite fast.

Donald@HIDevolution and Phoenix like this.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    yes it was super fast once you're in Windows, but before that, it's no faster than an HDD until you boot....

There was a big long thread about this on the Intel Forums then Intel released a firmware update to supposedly fix the long initialization issue during boot but it didn't fix anything really...

Papusan and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    like my wife's 4 year old Dell Vostro taptop which has a 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD....press the power button, blink your eyes...and that BGA laptop is on the desktop :rolleyes: [​IMG]

Aroc, Donald@HIDevolution and Papusan like this.
  7. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    you're right, they dont.

intel's stand point on ssd is that they dont target much consumers, which is why their 750 do so well in 4k writes and steady state as they were originally enterprise SSDs with a bit changed firmware while controller remain the same i think.

though steady state performances will clearly show its superiority when you are doing bunch of stuff on the SSD, like for example if you were to do work while torrent heavily on 750, it will top all other consumer level SSDs, even best some of the better NVMe SSDs.

on the other hand boot is made up of mostly sequential and random read range from 512b to 2MB many different block size, most in range of 4-8K i think so having a right stripe size matters too and thats where sammy's SSD is strong on read because they love overclocking their controller and their firmware is targeted in those area. however with znand coming out from samsung and optane from intel, those things are in the past because it'll get into the realm of ram disk's speed, bout half of it.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Western Digital has announced a 2TB SATA M.2 for $639, it's listed on Amazon, but it's currently unavailable.

There's a Western Digital notification option for when it's released :)

WD BLUE 3D NAND SATA SSD
    Capacity 250GB 500GB 1TB 2TB
    Form Factor 2.5” 7mm M.2 2280
    https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-blue-3d-nand-sata-ssd.html#WDS200T2B0B

Specification PDF:
    https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc...ssets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-800092-A00.pdf

WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS200T2B0B
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBW3VD/ref=psdc_1292116011_t3_B01KKZLX46?th=1

DukeCLR and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  9. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    We offer this upgrade on our website.

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Sounds great, but will you sell it independently without buying a system?

hmscott likes this.