]]>

NVMe vs. SATA SSDs for Gamers

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by Phoenix, Feb 28, 2017.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    From my personal, seat-of-the-pants experience, there is little to no perceptible difference in game load times between SATA and NVMe. The latter is useful as a boot drive and if you're doing activities that require a lot of disk access. Otherwise, I would happily trade speed for capacity, hence why I ordered a 1 TB M.2 SATA drive, rather than a 512 GB NVMe, for my 16L13.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    True. Nvme vs SATA won't matter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    nvme only seems viable for data access in work-related process'.

gamers are unable to utilize a nvme as you reach the bottleneck that is 1) the games code 2) your other hardware

Aroc, hmscott and Phoenix like this.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    what kills me about NVMe SSDs is how long it takes the motherboard to initialize the NVMe controller. It is pretty sad that my wife's 4 year old Dell Vostro with a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD boots to Windows in 8 seconds from the moment you press the power button to the Windows desktop while my expensive laptop with dual 960 PROs in RAID 0 takes 15 seconds just to start showing me the Windows loading icon then another 10 seconds to reach to the desktop :rolleyes:

So yeah, the benchmark numbers are insane, but where do I see the benefit as a user? certainly not in my workflow... maybe if you are dealing with humongous files on a constant basis then yes it will matter going NVMe but as it stands now, the only reason I am using NVMe SSDs is purely because they offer the largest storage capacity.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Do you miss your Sandisk Extreme Pro drives?:D How much can you shave of if yoo change and use single boot drive?

Phoenix and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    thats more of mobo/bios implementation, on desktop side of things with NVMe SSD, they boot faster than SATA SSD. desktop users are all about high end, efficiency, speed and feature. if a mobo takes that long to boot they will get no business from desktop builder.

sandisk had some decent Sata SSDs when they were using sandforce controller, but the new sandisk SSDs like extreme or extreme pro are dying left and right, i own like 5-6 of them and rma like 3 or 4 lol.

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Save your money, invest what you would have spent on an expensive and hot running NVME PCIE x4 M.2 drive into a 2x larger M.2 SATA drive, or even a 2.5" SSD drive to replace the 2.5" HDD that your laptop came with.

HDD Vs. SSD Vs. NVMe M.2 - Does a NVMe Drive Help Boot Times?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    DukeCLR, Aroc, jaug1337 and 2 others like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Whats wrong with the machine? Boot 36/37 sec with ssd's. Bloat? Aka Tested on MSI?:D
    upload_2017-9-21_8-14-35.png

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I found video's with longer boot times on SSD too :)

Who knows, it's the comparison that matters...right?

Same content took longer / same on PCI NVME :)

I think @Phoenix complained about this as well, it's the initialization delay for NVME on the motherboard.

That's why it's good to look at what the actual benefits are from M.2 PCIE x4 NVME SSD's compared to M.2 SATA SSD's in real life usage.

Most people aren't going to notice the difference of a few seconds longer startup for apps / games, and in game it's even less noticeable - whereas the 6x speed up from SATA HDD to SATA SSD is much more noticeable.

Aroc, Donald@HIDevolution and Papusan like this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    A huge amount of people think their new purchased laptops with M.2 PCIe drives are incredibly fast in boot. They do not know that it's Fast Startup in newer Windoze that tricks them:D