NVMe SSD using the same maximum link width

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ellalan, Nov 22, 2017.

1. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could someone please help me solve this, maximum link width was 2x with old BIOS, I have updated the BIOS to the latest version, maximum link width has changed to 4x but current link width stays at 2x, do I need to reinstall my OS?

Attached Files:

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Which M/B? What previous/new BIOS? Notebook or DT?

Are you running Asus' XMP by any chance? (Disable it if you are).

3. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi tilleroftheearth, it's a Aspire F5-573, MB is Captain_SK, I have updated the BIOS from V1.12 to 1.27, could it be the MB restriction?

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Thanks for the updated info... (still need more)...

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I hope others can help here...

See:
    https://ark.intel.com/products/95443/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

If the cpu is the i5-7200u as in the link above, is there anything sharing that link or otherwise not letting it operate at x4 speeds? Is there anything you can remove/disconnect or disable in BIOS?

Even though it seems like the processor is capable of those speeds on at least one port, it may be the M/B that is limiting it in other ways (power/cooling design/etc.).

Can you give the full details on your system? Thanks. ;)

ellalan likes this.
  5. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks tiller for the response, I am using Windows 10 IP build 17046 in this laptop, even at MLW of 2x it's lightening fast but I was wondering why the current link width stuck at 2x, anyway, thanks for your input :)
    EDIT: Yeah, this has happened in other makes of laptops as well.
    http://www.geektech.co.nz/high-performance-nvme-ssd-capped-at-pcie-2-0-speeds-y700
    I don't think the difference between 2x and 4x is worth the hassle, posting my speeds at the moment for you to compare.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  6. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    You're welcome. Seems like the BIOS/UEFI is determining that connection speed on your notebook, even if an appropriate component (x4) is attached.

How is your search coming for an equivalent 'H2OUVE.exe' utility for your Acer? :)

Would simply unlocking the hidden BIOS/UEFI features possibly help?

See:
    https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Please-help-to-unlock-Hidden-menu-in-Acer-E5-553G-T9VU-Bios

The thread above seems to have a helpful individual that may lead you to a solution for your notebook. Proceed with caution and at your own risk! :) :) :)

Good luck.

ellalan likes this.
  7. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you tiller, very helpful :)