NVME not recognized by windows help

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hertzian56, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Understandable.

For something that's not "extended" use where the controllers heat up and slow down everything it's imperceptible. If you're doing a lot of / frequent transfers though it would be a better idea to upgrade the enclosure.

For my testing i was backing up 100's of GB's of data to see where / if they overheated / slowed down. Of course dual internal drives go much faster than the enclosure @ 1-1.5GB/s so the duration is shorter besides the internal fans cooled them off better than passive cooling of the AL enclosure.

Now, there's newer options that push 20gbps that aren't outrageously priced like the TB3 models and with USB4 coming down the pipe there should be more options / priced lower. using the ASM2364

2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah I have a similar deal for my old half size msata out of my old M6700 works great, 128gb size too. But as mentioned earlier this is already on it's way back in the mail so moot now. May as well fill up the internal slots first. I wouldn't want another external to juggle. I've got several 2.5hdd's with games etc that I use a sata-usb3 cable for. It's not a must have anyways just thought it would be nice to put a couple heavier programs on without having to move around games between the different drives. I'll have to do some auctions on eb to get below 25$ for a 256gb, there a several 128gb nvme pcie m2's for around 20$ BIN but why do that when you can get double if you win lol

Anybody used those short cards in a full sized nvme slot? I see several of those but seems like it would need an adapter to secure it.

Edit: sorry responded to the wrong person, was responding to your quoted response.

3. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    I've got a box full of them too from 32GB up to 1TB. Nostalgia? When I sell a laptop though I pull my drive and put something different into them that doesn't have data or chance of data to be recovered from it. 2.5's come in handy every once in awhile though for something. Since I bult my NAS though they rarely see the light of day. Might be time to DOD wipe them and sell them off to someone that can use them for something else.

I even pulled a PATA from my car and made a new mSATA SSD / adapter to fill the spot to get quicker response from the NAV / Maps loading/calculating routes.

4. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Well I'm laptop only so it's convenient, I can just use them with my backup too, at least for old games. Yeah may as well sell them if you don't use them unless the going price is so low not worth the hassle. The old msata 128gb would probably be less than 10$ not worth selling, nice little drive to swap and store stuff. I don't have a lot of space for physical storage so I don't accumulate what I don't use afa standard consumer stuff, sell not needed stuff that's worth selling asap.

5. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    I had someone respond to an ad that didn't even have the item listed in hopes of finding one PATA drive but, then balked @ the $100 price when it sells new for $200-$400 because it's a hardened drive for machine use. I think they went with the Amazon version for $30 instead. The value in selling them isn't really there in most cases the costs of commissions / shipping take another 20% off the profit.

*shrug*

I have a Samsung SSD 1TB I refuse to sell because I paid way too much for it when it came out vs what it could fetch today on the market. Still works great as a repository if needed.

6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Sunk costs make today's decisions on those past costs, often, illogical. ;)

Whatever you paid for it back then was the going market rate. Whatever you can get for it today is the same. It's a different story if you have a use for it. But, if you have no use for it and are keeping it 'just because', it's at your loss.

7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
  8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    I'm not debating. I'm stating facts.

9. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Well I can agree with that if you don't have the extra space to store all that. But what he's talking about can still be used if he needed it, like a private junk yard lol. But yeah not a fan of keeping old unused standard consumer stuff around either, seen tons of that in peoples garages/storage units that they are actually paying to keep around instead of just getting what they can out of it and moving on. Ok I can see art/rare books/collectibles etc holding onto may go up in value but in most cases computer stuff nah Still it's work to do ebay, I don't touch scamazon anymore. They take about 14% then either you or the buyer pays ship, I won't do it unless I can get back after all that at least $20.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    I rarely resell anything I've through using. Donating to a worthy individual/family is enough ROI for me.

Papusan likes this.