NVME not recognized by windows help

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hertzian56, Oct 7, 2021.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought a used nvme m2 model MZNLN128C, https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-MZ-NLN128C-128GB-SOLID-MZNLN128HAHQ-000H1/dp/B07T2FJM1B, inserted it and booted up, it's not shown or detected even in disk management. I have not gone into the bios to see if it's there yet though. Any ideas? Picture attached.

The primary boot nvme this came with is a Phison PS5013 PM8256GPTCB4B8TF
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Phison-PS5013-PM8256GPTCB4B8TF-SSD-Benchmarks.496384.0.html

Edit: not recognized in BIOS either. Bios only has nvme connection. This was described as an m2 nvme msata. It has 2 notches on the card as per the picture so I'm not sure if it's not compatible with my board? Looks like the phison only has the one notch in the card.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Two notches is indicative of a SATA drive. Your M.2 slot may not be compatible.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. hertzian56

Reputations:
    That's my assessment at this point. Although when I search for an m2 2280 for sale there are many that have both notches and some with just the one notch, so confusing. I assumed that if it fits in the slot it is usable but I guess not. This being an off brand I can't see any bios update for it so guess i'm SOL. Sending it back.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    M.2 NVMe drives only has 1 notch while SATA M.2 drives has 2 notches. This is why you cant plug in a M.2 SATA drive into a M.2 NVMe port because of the notch.

At that price you could of got a brand new 512GB NVMe drive with full warranty. Never go with used drives its not worth the risk imo.

SierraFan07 likes this.
  5. hertzian56

Reputations:
    That's not what I paid for it btw that was just an example link. I paid $12 for it total.It fits fine into the slot.

I re-seated it and still nothing. Now I really have no idea what would be compatible since there's scant info on the details and like I said many nvme's with the same names have both notches or just one notch. My guess is just the exact same one or it also comes up with a crucial with the same pn 5013.

6. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most likely your laptop's motherboard only accept NVMe SSDs if your drive dont show up in the BIOS which is not a surprise as most computers today only accept NVMe SSDs. Anyone that tries to sell M.2 SSDs with 2 notches is clearly trying to scam people by using false advertising by listing it as NVMe when its clearly SATA.

SierraFan07 likes this.
  7. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

First off you're not likely to get an NVME / PCIE based drive for $12

2nd 2 notches = SATA

If your mashing doesn't support M.2 SATA it's time to get an enclosure for it and use it as a portable drive.

Also, look up the PN on google and it will give you the specs / uses from Samsung.

8. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Just need to drop it in the mail tomorrow for a return full refund, he didn't dispute it at all so I'm guessing it was either trying to slip one by or most likely the confusion about all this. 128gb totally fine for my needs.

And no all you need is to look for it in the auctions you can find them at 128gb for less than $20 bucks, just searching through right now found a brand new 256gb hynix m2 pcie nvme for $25 free ship. Never say never in this case.

9. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would be skeptical and want verification of the drive. 1TB goes for 100-130 depending on the manufacturer. A viable NVME not SATA should be on average at least $50.

Here's a 128GB though for ~$30 https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-TS128GMTE110S-128GB-Solid-State/dp/B07CXC32T2 I would feel comfortable with this due to the # of ratings / reviews to make an educated decision on whether to buy or not. The $50 mark would weed out the junk drives with no DRAM / bad NAND / poor controllers.

10. hertzian56

Reputations:
    it's a sk hynix pc601 pci gen 3 with the single notch. There's always people looking to dump stuff in flash sales just have to get lucky.

Vasudev likes this.