nVIDIA Whisper Mode

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Phoenix, Jun 22, 2017.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i wish they updated it as it feels like it's so outdated.

I seem to have a knack for picking crappy AVs LOL

Firstly Avast prevented Forza Horizon 3 from launching when the game was released.

Bitdefender prevented Shadowplay from working.

I don't know of any good ones that i can use without buying (ie. free editions) without being a pain in the butt.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    @Phoenix :eek:

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @D2 Ultima: I had nvidia inspector that can auto update nvidia profile inspector to latest version, I can't find it now. Try NV 382.53, its performance is good so far in my testing. Don't know about SLI scaling.
    Switch to Defender atleast.

Donald@HIDevolution and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Has anyone gotten WhisperMode to work on their Pascal laptop?

5. ShotOfB12

ShotOfB12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Doesn't Nvidia need to release whisper mode profiles for games for it to work? I've been waiting for official support through geforce experience because of that.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Here they say Nvidia has more than 400 gaming profiles with WhisperMode... maybe it's time to check it out :)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-Max-Q-WhisperMode-Information-Initial-Benchmarks.230426.0.html

"The optional WhisperMode
    [​IMG]
    WhisperMode (Source: Nvidia)
    The WhisperMode, which is independent of the hardware, takes a different approach. It can be activated via GeForce Experience in addition to Max-Q or as a standalone feature. WhisperMode is supposed to be available for all Pascal graphics cards and currently works with more than 400 gaming profiles created by Nvidia. The feature automatically chooses graphics presets optimized for the GPU, and limit the frame rate to 40 (e.g. The Witcher 3) or 60 frames per second (Overwatch), respectively. Users can always change Nvidia's presets manually.

Nvidia acknowledges that different genres or titles, respectively, have different requirements in terms of FPS for an enjoyable gaming experience. The manufacturer wants to use this technology to improve the efficiency even further and reduce the system noise considerably. We think this feature makes the most sense if the laptop is equipped with a G-Sync display."

Robbo99999, ShotOfB12 and Vasudev like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ah, I see! Whisper Mode is not gimping the GPU per say, it's just lowering in-game detail settings to enable 60fps to be achieved using less GPU resources - as an end result the GPU wouldn't be pegged at 100% GPU load, instead it would fluctuate at lower levels (say 50-100% GPU load for argument's sake), while maintaining 60fps. That's not a bad thing, it's not gimping the hardware.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's the next obvious step after an FPS limiter, tune the game settings down to match the parameters of operation - noise in this case.

No clock, voltage, or other hardware tuning, all in the game software.

Vasudev, Phoenix and Robbo99999 like this.
  9. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nvidia crippled mode...activated.

Just bear in mind that some games doesn't label Anti-Aliasing correctly...like Nier Automata...you can set it to on/off but if you do some research its actually forced 4x MSAA or 8xMSAA which is unoptimized in the game engine causing even the most powerful rig to stutter in some areas of the game...bad port!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    In the Nvidia game settings in GFE there's a way to change and lock in changes like that - turning it off in the game won't help as the GFE will continually apply it's settings over the game settings each time you refresh the Profiles, and other triggers cause it to notice the local change to the game settings and re-apply it's settings.

So change all the settings in the GFE profile, anything not listed there for change shouldn't be changed in the game settings, so those settings not listed in the GFE profile can be changed in the game settings.

Hopefully that fixes that for you :)

Vasudev likes this.