nVIDIA Whisper Mode

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Phoenix, Jun 22, 2017.

1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Interesting, FPS limiters and 120hz screens are contrary gaming philosophies.

2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    if max-q is hardware only that means it can't affect existing cards.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. somejoshdude

somejoshdude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    IFF they did not already have the technology as part of the architecture then sure it would not affect existing cards, which is most likely NOT the case, if it is a PASCAL feature.

I would like something like this if it actually assessed and tuned to your specific machine instead of fps limit and pre-configured profiles.....

I have undervolted/ underclocked my 1070 in ASUS GL502VS and can still max out all my games with doom at 130-150 FPS and Wow running 45-60 in Dal 90-150 in Dungeons and Raids (View distance is 7). This is also how I manage to keep both my CPU and GPU sub 75C.

I imagine that "Whisper mode" will drop the GPU Clock Speed to 1100~ (I can and have this in my custom undervolt/underclock profile) and that will range to around 1300 mhz to maintain 0.85 or lower Voltage.

hmscott likes this.
  4. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    so long as it don't affect my 1070...i did just mod the vbios after all :p

5. somejoshdude

somejoshdude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    :D. I have heard mixed descriptions, the marketing has been somewhat "ambiguous".

Some have stated that it requires a Bios update to the graphics card, some say it is simply driver level, etc.

All I know is, I have been continuously tweaking this card since purchase and it runs significantly better IMHO.

Hell, not that you should "Use recommended Settings" with Geforce experience, but after my tweaks if I select to "optimize" any game, I am way above the refresh rate of my G-Sync so I keep undervolting the card and the performance loss is minimal (I have to clearly state that this is my observation. I don't want to incite some "know-it-all" to question the validity of my opinion)

So minimal that I am having to literally max out all settings in most all games to cause strain to below 60 FPS (which I have managed with Witcher, but that was with everything on in areas where the desktop counterpart struggles), DSR 4x, Smoothness 33-55. Really liking Pascal.

hmscott likes this.
  6. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    time to not install GFE then!

Papusan likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nvidia inspector profile's had Quiet mode aka Whisper mode. I tried it, basically GPU is passive until 75C. Quickly reverted back to Noise mode.

hmscott likes this.
  8. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    I assume that 0x00000000 means "off"? I prefer the loud fans anyway, at least i know there's air flowing through it.

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes it is. 0xFF means prefer passive cooling even under high temps, don't know who prefers this.

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I fail to see what's wrong with this. I take fan noise as a priority (reason I bought the EVOC). Everyone has different needs. As long as you can disable it what's the problem?

Buffle and Vasudev like this.