Nvidia Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dr. AMK, Jul 4, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nvidia RTX 20 Series: Why You Should Jump Off The Hype Train
    Jason Evangelho, Aug 21, 2018
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...-should-jump-off-the-hype-train/#59e242403f8e

"Before you pull the trigger on pre-ordering the RTX 2080 Ti or RTX 2080, though, please listen to some advice: don't. Don't pay inflated prices for marginal performance gains over the 10 Series. In fact, don't buy this new generation of GPUs from Nvidia at all, because there's something better coming."

"Seriously, glance at the clock speeds for the 20 Series. Check out the unimpressive CUDA core increase over the 10 Series. Realize that the memory configuration is the same as the 10 Series (albeit with GDDR6 instead of GDDR5). Take a hard look at what the performance increase will be for . Most in the tech media are putting it at maybe 10% to 15% over the 10 Series when it comes to the majority of games out there. But you'll pay 40% to 50% higher prices for this generation's replacements based on MSRP. And you know we won't be paying MSRP. . ."

"Ask yourself why Nvidia showed approximately zero gaming benchmarks without ray tracing. There were no performance comparisons between, say, the GTX 1080 Ti and the RTX 2080 Ti for the most popular games already out there."

Or to sum that up, this meme shared by Videocardz:
    [​IMG]
    "Don't misunderstand me. The GeForce RTX cards are probably great products. They're just overpriced, unproven products. Wait for the reviews."

Thanks to @Atma for finding the article. :)
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nnounced-preorder.822244/page-2#post-10783892

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Vasudev and Atma like this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep, that's what most of us are saying here!

Vasudev, Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  3. Lumlx

Lumlx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    RTX cards release summed up at 0:17

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    @VideoCardz
    https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1031889617748992000

Macharius‏ @LordSMacharius 7 hours ago
    "So raytracing, that thing they wasted over an hour on, that no one actually asked for unless it was ready, completely guts performance and is in no way worth the hype. I'm shocked, shocked I say."

HowAboutNah‏ @HowAboutNah666 6 hours ago
    Replying to @VideoCardz
    "Shut up and look at my RTX-OPS !!!"

Matthew Connatser‏ @MConnatserNBC 7h7 hours ago
    Replying to @VideoCardz
    "RTX is simply the new Hairworks or PhysX. It'll die off pretty soon in gaming."

Nvidia takes a commanding lead in GPU performance, and trades it for a handful of "Magic Beans"...

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    From this photo of an Nvidia presentation slide, it appears as though 50% of the new die real estate has been split between AI (Tensor Core) and Ray-tracing (RT Core), leaving the Shader / Compute traditional functionality with about the same area as the previous generation.
    bigg.JPG
    Source

It's hard to measure, but it looks like the RTX Shader and Compute section has less area to me in comparison than the previous Pascal die shown.

Those Tensor Core and RT Core area's are wasted space for current games, and for me RTX is something I would disable in a game to get better performance, like I disable GameWorks Hair / etc now.

50%+ is a lot of die space to dedicate for eye candy that most of us will end up turning off to reduce power / heat generated by those areas of the die to improve gaming performance.

Edit: I sure hope there is a way to completely disable / power off the Tensor Core and RT Core's when they aren't useful... that would be most of the time.

Vasudev and aaronne like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That's generally the position I take with ALL new technology, regardless of what it is. There are a few exceptions here and there, but early adoption is the opposite of smart to me. I find being surprised a whole lot easier than being disappointed. Especially when the disappointment involves the use of my own money. Lots of things look interesting or seem to have promise, only to turn out to be an over-hyped dud. A small performance bump is worth a couple/three hundred bucks, but a small performance bump at the ungodly price of an RTX GPU is absolutely insane. Not saying that a RTX 1080 TI is not going to be a ludicrous leap in performance, only that nobody knows much at this point and until I see some guinea pigs with interests that match up with mine tearing it up with overclocked benchmarks, NVIDIA ain't gettin' a dirty dime from this old man, LOL. No way I in hell I am flushing $1200 down the toilet for something that doesn't run like $1200 better than what I already have.

But, but, um, um, but... Mr. Fox, it's new and all my friends on Facebook ordered one. And, I watched that video on YouTube, and even the NVIDIA web page said it is awesome.

Ashtrix, Robbo99999, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Why Are Nvidia's GeForce RTX GPUs So Expensive?-Tomshardware.com

----------------------------------------

Hands on: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti review-Techradar.com
    The king of graphics cards has a new heir.

Early verdict

Whether you’re a PC gamer who was waiting in the wings for a more powerful graphics card or you truly believe in Nvidia’s vision of a ray traced future, the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is already looking like the world’s most powerful graphics card in the world regardless.

That said, you shouldn’t automatically jump on the pre-order button.

We still have a plenty of unanswered questions about power consumption, when we’ll actually see the lower-priced versions and their shortcomings, new multi-card SLI compatibility and, of course, benchmarking them.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    "Unsurprisingly, consumers have some passionate responses to these prices.

Readers in the Tom’s Hardware forums are calling for more competition from AMD, wondering if the performance benefit is worth it and saying they just won’t buy right now. On the Nvidia subreddit, there were similar thoughts on competitive pricing and keeping existing cards."

"One thing we don’t yet know: how the RTX GPUs perform compared to the existing 10-series. Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang spent a lot of time describing how RTX's ray-tracing feature will work, but we know very little about traditional benchmarks, and how the new series compares to the Pascal-based GPUs."

"It’s possible that the new cards will be so groundbreaking that they’re worth the price, but without having our hands on the cards to benchmark them ourselves, we can’t say for sure.

It’s also possible that the 10-series will offer a better value for those who don’t care about ray tracing and RTX capabilities."

Most importantly:

"Some reports over the last few months have suggested that Nvidia may have an inventory issue on its hands, including rumors that a major OEM partner returned 300,000 GPUs to Nvidia. Others suggest that this is a result of not managing the demands for gaming and mining appropriately.

During a recent conference call, Huang said that “[w]e’re expecting the channel inventory to work itself out. We are masters at managing our channel, and we understand the channel very well.” He also suggested that the inventory is in “the lower end of our stock,” so that may clear out before Nvidia announces mid and lower-tier Turing-based GPUs."

If you want the previous generation Pascal GPU at a lower cost, and want to wait until RTX features prove value long term, there may be a limited supply of new Pascal GTX GPU's out there.

And, if the RTX cards don't generate enough momentum to sell in quantity, there might not be many used Pascal GPU's freed up for sale on the used market.

Nvidia did miscalculate their Mining Card volume demand a bit. Nvidia scaled back building GPU's when it looked liked demand was slowing, but not enough.

Nvidia estimated volume would go down from $300M in sales to $100M in sales, but the sales volume for Mining cards dropped all the way to $18M in 1 quarter.

Maybe there will be plenty of new Pascal cards out there for the price to drop further. :)

9. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    It is still early in development, but even so this isn't what a prospective buyer of a new $1200 GPU wants to hear:

"Shadow of the Tomb Raider gameplay on the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti showcases the grandeur of ray tracing but with worrying concerns...

A few outlets managed to run a demo of the Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the new NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and the initial impressions seem to be a bit dampening with ray tracing turned on.

The game was shown to hover in the 30 fps range in 1080p and struggled to reach 60 fps.

A demo without ray tracing was not shown but it should understandably result in a huge performance difference."