Nvidia Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dr. AMK, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Dang! Those screen shots don't even look like the original game... at all. LOL. Downloading it now.

I like it... looks way better. Here are some quickie screen shots with RTX on at 1440p.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is not related to ray tracing, but I thought some folks might like it if they have not seen it. Works great for these older games. I can run all of them at 1440p/165Hz using this cool tool.

Doomsday Engine is a Doom / Heretic / Hexen port with enhanced graphics

upload_2019-9-1_22-17-58.png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2019
    Talon likes this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You guys have been had, this is a fake and doesn't use real time ray tracing, they updated their article: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/doom...-to-the-classic-doom-game-via-the-vulkan-api/

When it comes to ray tracing, I'm a little bit excited about the next generation of NVidia GPUs, I wonder how much they'll increase ray tracing performance/capability - it's gonna be a tough call for them to work out how much die space they want to dedicate to ray tracing cores, because the more space they dedicate to that...then the less space they have to dedicate to traditional rendering performance.....so will they choose a big increase in ray tracing performance or a big increase in traditional rendering performance.......I think it's gonna come down to what they expect AMD to deliver, because they have to beat them on the traditional rendering front whilst still offering ray tracing. Actually, wouldn't it be cool if they didn't have to make that choice - imagine if they didn't need to have dedicated ray tracing cores and it could all be run on some kind of new cores that could be switched between ray tracing or traditional rendering without any loss in ray tracing or rendering performance.....that way you could have maximum rendering performance in traditional games (using all of the silicon rather than letting a portion lay dormant), and then maybe you could decide in ray tracing games how much you wanted your GPU to dedicate towards ray tracing.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Doesn't matter. The fact is there is no comparison between how it looks and how the original looks. Whether it has ray tracing or not makes no difference to me. Better is better. Just look at the screen shots.

5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Yeah, I guess so, I thought you were mainly interested in the ray tracing technology factor. The problem with those old games that have been 'remastered' with ray tracing or even fake ray tracing (like this one) - I still think they look dated, it's a bit like polishing a turd! Yeah, Doom was a great game in 1994, but that was over 20 yrs ago. All current games look better than that, I mean I know you like the Wolfenstein new games, which are in the same vein as Doom. Doom was revolutionary at the time, so it holds a place for me along with other more modern games that I found iconic and memorable, immersive & amazing: Half Life 2, Bioshock, Crysis, Mass Effect.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Sure, it looks dated, I agree. But, it's no less fun today that it was in 1994 and looking better at the same time is a plus for me. I find ray tracing interesting, too. But, not something that I find to be super-duper important. Life was good without it already, so it's more like a "nice to have" feature rather than a "must have" feature for gaming the way I see it. I know others might not agree, which is fine.

7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Ha, it's like that infamous quote that Nvidia rep said about raytracing that got panned, "how much of your life can you live with not being raytraced!" (something along those lines) - yeah ray tracing is not everything! Well, if you enjoy those remastered games, then why not, that's the main thing.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yup... Exactly. Like Serious Sam always said, "It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye" LOL.

One thing that might not be evident with the newer Doom mods, including this latest nicer-looking one. You can run them full screen up to 4K, full refresh rate (165Hz in my case) and they have new features like being able to free look (up and down with mouse instead of only left and right) and jump (no jumping was allowed in the original Doom releases). So, while it is not 2019 graphics era material, it's miles ahead of what it was in 1994 for numerous reasons.

9. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    NVIDIA Research: First Privacy-Preserving Federated Learning System for Medical Imaging

10. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    NVIDIA at Mobile World Congress: 5G Meets AI

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.