Nvidia Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dr. AMK, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, for a start that's an aside to the main point of my post that you quoted (and within that context I don't really appreciate the "No" sentiment right at the start of your post), but taking up your tangent post I gotta disagree with your viewpoint. Jen-Hsun Huang (leather jacket man) of NVidia said in the unveiling of Turing that this is what they have been working on for 10 yrs, ray tracing, and that ray tracing was the game changer for the future. In fact during that whole presentation he barely said anything about the traditional rendering performance of Turing. Also, Turing is not massively faster than Pascal in traditional rendering - it's something like 30-40% faster than Pascal. We're likely to see way bigger gains in traditional rendering performance going from Turing to the next gen due to a smaller node at 7nm than you are seeing from Pascal to Turing, so Turing is ALL about the ray tracing and certainly not about the unexcitingly small traditional rendering performance increase.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Depends on how how you look at it. The situation has/would been totally different if AMD could compete. Maybe put the blame over there?:D Exactly:vbthumbsup:

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's silly, Nvidia didn't consult AMD or involve AMD in any way in the debacle that has become of the RTX GPU release.

Nvidia has blown their RTX opportunity completely, on their own. :p

4. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nvidia's presentation on their new tech doesn't escape the fact the card is an absolute beast in normal rendering techniques and IS THE ONLY CARD that can provide 1440p 144hz fps going forward. Pascal was great but can't compete with the 2080 Ti. I'm not arguing with you that the price isn't higher than last gen and most people won't be buying one. Although $999-$1300 is far from a luxury item.

RTX2080Ti.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Hitman_2/4.html

Vega64 getting exactly half of what the RTX 2080 Ti produces in this new AAA title. It's pathetic for AMD at this point.

5. Bobbert9

Bobbert9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We all need to be sleeping with one eye open for Intel. By the time AMD has something to compete at the high end, Intel will be entering the market with their GPU. Raja Koduri was being severely held back at AMD with very limited resources while Lisa Su orchestrated the CPU war with Intel. Now that he has almost unlimited resources at his disposal, there should be some interesting times coming by this time next year. AMD has said they will not utilize ray tracing until their entire line is able to carry it, although Lisa Su has said recently that AMD will come out fighting at some point. Intel is in the unique position to start from scratch with their GPU and although preliminary rumors indicate a mid-tier product at the initial launch, they have the chance to introduce ray tracing in their first lineup. At this point it's too early to tell if they will choose to go that route.

Either way this means good things for us because more competition will drive prices back down and help keep Nvidia in line, ray tracing or not. I don't believe we will see this new feature go away, however it probably will take at least one or two more generations before we have the horsepower take advantage of it. It's a great time to be a gamer!

Robbo99999, hmscott and Talon like this.
  6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've lost a lot of hope in AMD at this point, their current Vega offerings are a joke. Vega is a budget card, and a bad one at that. It's a power hungry turd. I really hope Intel brings something amazing to the table. Nvidia and Intel going head to head in the GPU market would be amazing to watch and would really offering the market some real competition IF they can pull it off. I have high hopes for Intel GPUs.

Bobbert9 likes this.
  7. Bobbert9

Bobbert9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm very glad Vega wasn't available when I was selling my cards. My MSI GamingX Trio 1080 Ti is a lot better, cooler and less power hungry. I don't need 4K resolution and the Ti handles 3440x1440 Ultrawide @ 100hz with ease.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is there any rumours around as to when Intel is planning to launch their first GPU?

9. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    RTX 2070 Analysis - Overdue and Overpriced
    Overlord Gaming
    Published on Dec 9, 2018
    An analysis of the 2070's price and performance. It doesn't hold up well to the improvements brought by previous generations.