NVIDIA reaches settlement in class action suit affecting Apple, Dell, HP laptops

Discussion in 'HP' started by nikeseven, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikeseven

nikeseven Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    NVIDIA reaches settlement in class action suit affecting Apple, Dell, HP laptops -- Engadget

The website for the class action suit is: The NVIDIA GPU Litigation - Home Page . Hopefully everyone will be able to get their slice of the pie, including me :).

2. Ayepecks

Ayepecks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OK, I am now extremely pissed off.

I have an HP dv2500t, and it had one of the faulty nVidia GPUs -- the 8400 GS. I contacted HP when they issued an extended warranty, and they gave me the runaround, as the dv2500 was not listed on the affected models, even though it quite clearly is (it used the same damn graphics card as the other models!), just search Google to see. My laptop died just after the warranty expired, so I didn't get a replacement, then HP claimed it wasn't affected by the nVidia GPU issue.

Now these lawyers are doing the same damn thing. Other HP laptops (even earlier in the dv2000 series!) that have the exact same GPU and were made within the exact same time frame as my laptop are listed, but not the dv2500t. This is a crock of absolute garbage. How do I contact these lawyers to get my laptop fixed? It's been broken for freaking two years now and I got tired of hassling with HP.

What on God's green earth do I have to do to get my laptop fixed?! Where is an e-mail for these lawyers? Their Web site has no e-mail contact link.

3. nikeseven

nikeseven Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm guessing once the final hearing on Dec 20th happens you'll be able to. I'm assuming by then they'll have contact info up on their site.

4. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    my tx1000 also has been a victim of a faulty NVIDIA chip. the wireless kept disappearing and i had to send it for a repair 3 times already. unfortunately for me, the product number of my laptop is NOT listed among those that this website claim to have been affected! what nonsense...

5. TechStock

TechStock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok I'm with Ayepecks! My dv9500 with the 8600m gs was already replaced under warranty once. My warranty expires next month and it isn't on the list either.

6. TOYSTER17

TOYSTER17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My laptop has an 8400M GS that I bought in August of 2007 but yet isn't listed. Wondering what's going on with that. Are those models listed only from customers who called and complained? It obviously has the same graphics card so I don't see the problem here.

7. iofthestorm

iofthestorm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, that really sucks... I have a tx2000 which is IDENTICAL to the tx1000 series except for the active digitizer instead of passive, and I have exactly the symptoms listed (screen doesn't turn on when I turn on the computer). Checked the tx1xxx list just in case, my product number didn't show up. But it's really bizarre that you've got the tx1000 and still your product number doesn't show up in the list...

I think tx2000 series owners should raise a stink about it, as well as anyone else who has laptops with the same affected chipsets but not on the settlement list, until we get some retribution. From a technical standpoint, they should have just listed chipset numbers instead of laptop product numbers, but that would allow many more people to file claims, which is obviously not what they wanted.

Stupidly perhaps, as you can see in my sig I got another HP... and honestly, I really love this computer but I bought it pretty much knowing that if something were to go wrong, HP is going to be completely useless about it. But at least it's got an ATI chip which I trust not to fail more than nVidia.

In the end... nVidia deserves what they got with this settlement and much, much more. At least partial justice is being done, I guess.

8. nikeseven

nikeseven Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The suit should be for the chip, not just specific models. If you can prove that you A) have an effected gpu/chipset and B) it suffers from the problems associated with it, you have a right to part of the settlement. I assume once money gets to the right places you'll be able to call and plead your case.

9. Ayepecks

Ayepecks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I very seriously doubt that. The lawsuit is specifically mentioning these models of laptops, which means that's all the lawsuit will cover. By the time this is actually accepted on December 20, it will be too late if you want to get a laptop with a faulty card that's not listed fixed.

If you Google the dv2500, it was one of the main laptops that had issues with the graphics card. HP previously screwed me over, and now this lawsuit is as well. I bought my laptop in 2007, which is right in line with all the other laptops listed in the court case, so there's no way it wasn't effected since it crapped out because of the exact same graphics card issue.

I want to complain and I want to complain now. This is just a law firm trying to get a company to pay their $13,000,000 fee and screwing the people they're supposed to be representing over.

10. jalaj

jalaj Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks OP!

I bet this Nvidia issue was the main reason why HP was at the top of Squaretrades reliability issues survey back in 2009.

Ayepecks, check out hplies.com if you haven't already. May find more useful information for your case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.