Nvidia Quadro K3100M/K4100M/K5100M overclocking vBIOS mod

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by valuxin, Nov 17, 2015.

1. TheKillerTacos

TheKillerTacos Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, the ZBook died because of faulty bios (hardware related) and i removed that bios just for fun, then i turn it on again and it think dust or something burnt a screen connector (idk which connector was, since there are 2 connected to a board) and it didnt even booted to the os, neither a video output,
    also before the laptop stopped working, i used to play heavy games (GTA V, Rust, COD, Battlefield, etc) and used 3D programs without a single crash, either heat shutdowns, just that the bios burnt and it didnt turned on again,
    so I changed to my old 8770w,

The 8770w does not have support for Optimus, it was the gpu itself rendering 3D without drivers (just Microsoft Video Adapter driver).

So by some hours of testing this were the results:

I replaced the K4000M with the K4100M,
    i used windows recovery thingy at startup (since the nVidia drivers from K4000M bugged the hell out the screen output like i said before) then I selected the CMD option, did cd to the folder where i had nvflash, flashed my gpu from there, with a OCed DELL vbios, (link), and then restarted my laptop,

I was so excited because i made it make video output through the laptop screen, and then i loaded windows normally and the drivers started to bug the screen and then windows crashed after 4m every time i logged to windows (even without logging in), it said Video tcp failure (or something) and Watchdog_DPC_violation,

So i used a fresh windows install (from a HDD i had around), it did give 1080p video output to laptop screen and i didnt test anything at all, so then installed Normal Nvidia drivers (from nvidia not hp neither dell) and then it started to bug again,

And well, Then i tried using Ubuntu (17) and the screen give 1080p output without problems, i was going to install nvidia drivers but it was too difficult for the short time i had to test, so i didnt finished up testing with ubuntu,

As you said, it might be an Optimus driver bug or something, so later on ill try testing with modified drivers.
    Also the GPU temp was high, i didnt check out the temp, but the laptop was too hot for normal use and used too much battery life (i found out when i was playing around with ubuntu at the couch)

And months before, I found out that in Nvidia page that it said that the K4100M worked only on Haswell Generation (4th gen), and not Ivy Bridge,
    now it says that supports Shark Bay, which is kinda new, since that "option" wasnt there before.
    [​IMG]
    This is what ill do next time i make another test:

I'll use another vbios a not OC one, just a normal one,
    Modify nVidia Drivers to try removing optimus (if posible)
    Finish testing up in Ubuntu
    Try to use older Drivers to see if anything happends.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. TheKillerTacos

TheKillerTacos Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    btw im going to make a thread for my problem, well ill quote you or something at that thread.

3. FlowCpu

FlowCpu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    valuxin your easy to use and .bat file link is broken.

4. Looker1122

Looker1122 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I finally managed to run HTC Vive on K3100M (overclocked) in 8740w.
    I didn't test any games yet, because I shuffle many driver versions, and was to tired to run games, but Vive's start screen works fine - only few missing frames per few seconds in 90 fps (Hz).
    Connected by DP>minDP certified v1.2 cable to Vive's LinkBox.

Next challenge: try to connect 4K monitor to K3100M in 8740w. :)

5. espektro

espektro Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the 8740w too, which vbios file are you using?

6. Looker1122

Reputations:
    I didn't remember which one exactly - probably v1.2 100W.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  7. espektro

espektro Newbie

Reputations:
    The shared folder is only showing Dell and MSI, I will install it on a HP 8740w does it matter which i choose?

8. Looker1122

Reputations:
    I flashed Dell.
    Remember to (1) make BACKUP old vbios and (2) make "BLIND" reflash of backuped vbios startup Dos disk in case if some goes wrong.

9. espektro

espektro Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried first a K3100m that I bought on Ebay but seems that it wasnt working, it showed the HP logo at boot but just for a few seconds and then nothing. I returned the item to the seller and get some more money to get a K4100m. I installed it and the screen never showed any image but the HDD led was blinking, I reved the k4100m and installed again the Firepor M7820 to set up a remote connection to the computer using my Note 4. 2 or 3 hours later I managed to flash one of the vbios that is on this thread and the laptop restarted showing the HP logo. Valuxin, THANK YOU!

I tested GTA V with the High preset and it runs amazing. Crysis and Alan Wake have problems but im not sure if its because of the overclock, the nvidia drivers or maybe the TDP.

10. Looker1122

Reputations:
    :D did you setup remote connection from Android phone to 8740w for flashing vbios? :D
    how did you do that??