nVidia Optimus, why do DTR's have it? What can be done about it?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by skumdog, Apr 6, 2013.

?

Do you think nVidia Optimus should be...

1. ...Optional? I will install it if I need it.

18.8%
  2. ...Not installed? EVER!

6.3%
  3. ...Mandatory? We shouldn't worry about such things.

12.5%
  4. ...User switchable? We can turn it on or off as we see fit.

62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skumdog

skumdog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I just bought a Sager NP9170 with the GTX 675Mx. I am curious as to why, since this is a DeskTop Replacement(DTR), do I have to have nVidia Optimus on this machine? I don't want it. I never run it on battery so I am not, in any way, concerned about battery life. So why does nVidia insist on forcing this system crippling software onto my machine? I would love to hear everyones thoughts on this. I would also love to hear your opinions about Optimus, do you love it, or hate it? Do you even ever unplug your computer, or does it sit on a desk like a real desktop replacement?

2. Chazy90

Chazy90 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One of the reasons I bought my Asus G75 was that It had no possibility of using Optimus...:D

3. SoundOf1HandClapping

SoundOf1HandClapping Was once a Forge

Reputations:
    In what way is it system crippling? From my understanding muxless graphics switching will give maybe a ~5% performance hit versus nonmuxless, but other than that I can't think of a reason why Optimus is a bad thing.

4. failwheeldrive

failwheeldrive Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just be thankful you're not stuck with Enduro. Optimus is (for the most part) seamless, and doesn't really affect performance negatively. Enduro on the other hand has been a complete nightmare for Clevo owners with the 7970m.

I agree though, the fact that the new Clevos can't disable switchable graphics is a huge negative. Fortunately AW doesn't have to deal with this issue. The M17x can disable Optimux/Enduro and run off the dedicated card, and the M18x doesn't have switchable graphics (though it can run off the HD 4000 if you need it to.)

It seems that switchable graphics are here to stay though. Clevo made a huge mistake by going muxless; it's one of the reasons I sold my NP9150 and don't plan on going back to Sager any time soon.

5. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Heat, battery life, noise

6. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    Well, guess I'm in the minority, but I LOVE Optimus.... why force the dedicated GPU to run 24/7 wasting power and heat when the IGP does the job just fine most of the time and when no longer sufficient, it's a completely seamless transition. Yes, you have a DTR and you aren't interested in any mobility, but being a long time 17" DTR laptop owner myself, I'd more than welcome the opportunity to actually use my machine on the go for more than 45 minutes. I loved my G73JH and Toshiba x205-SLi1 and Sager 4780, but Optimus is a must in the future in any laptop I buy... battery life will literally improve double or triple, and honestly I like the idea of my GPU running icy cool saving itself for when I want to game. Why waste the power simply because it's available?

As far as issues, I haven't had as much as a hiccup with Optimus... sure, occasionally an obscure indie game or small developer game won't automatically utilize the Nvidia GPU, but it takes about 10 seconds to click the dedicated GPU option either through the Nvidia control panel or even "right click run with gpu". I realize there were some initial issues years ago, but I have yet to have any concern or problem, so just flat don't understand the fuss. It's very possible I'm missing an issue here, but all I ever read is maybe there's a "~5%" difference" yadayada...

I for one will not be buying a laptop that doesn't at least offer me the option to utilize Optimus or it's equivalent. I simply can't see the point in a laptop regardless the size, and love the extra battery life. If I simply wanted always stationary non mobile always plugged in battery and power be damned computing, I'd build a desktop ;)

7. skumdog

skumdog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    But it does have optimus. Since it has a mobile GPU and a mobile CPU then it definitely has optimus running on it. I was gonna ask... Can you prove that it doesn't have optimus? But instead I went to Asus and chatted with a tech and he said this!

View attachment 94394

Now I am outraged! How dare Sager force this Optimus crap on us? I payed lots of money for this laptop. I should have a choice on whether or not my system runs optimus or not.

8. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    Now this I do agree with, while I do love Optimus and the benefits it brings, options are always better and if possible it should be up to the end user... curious what it involves to make it user selectable or not to the manufacturer.

9. SoundOf1HandClapping

SoundOf1HandClapping Was once a Forge

Reputations:
    While, sure, it's good to have options, I still don't see how Optimus is "crap".

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Some of this is on you for not doing your due diligence when purchasing the product. Every major Sager reseller has this info on their product pages, and if you had questions, the time to ask was before you handed over your money, either to the resellers or the folks on this board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.