nVIDIA mobile Kepler 6xx MASTER overclocking guide. Workaround for max clocks/OC stability.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Mobius 1, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Use the set command in the 1st post, but you might have to change pstates and it's not a guaranteed success for Quadro cards

This is great news! Do you have a screenshot?

Clocking memory is normal, clocking the +135MHz on the GPU is normal
    You're not OCing hard enough :p

Try using the 1st post guide to overclock beyond +135MHz

2. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah yeah I know :p I just didn't know +1000 was possible so easily. I wish I could spend more time actually overclocking the GPU but unfortunately the CPU is a bottleneck (throttling).

3. thejon1337

thejon1337 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oddly, I can't seem to get my y580's 660M GTX above 885mhz using nvidia inspector.
    Originally, I installed a 1Ghz core bios mod, and it does hold at 1Ghz after a restart, but then after I start my game and the load picks up, it throttles back to 885mhz. I've tried P5 and P0, neither seem to let me go anywhere above 885 mhz. Sadly, 885mhz is lower than the original boost frequency of 925mhz, so I'm actually getting worse framerate than I was before I started all this. I've been messing around for a few hours, and I'm up for any suggestions!

Went from 925 boost -> 1000 boost -> back down to 885 every time I launch something intensive after a few seconds.

4. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    Use Tstop in the 1st post, or try making your laptop run cooler

Checked temps and made sure followed this guide for setting max performance: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...pdate-nvidia-drivers-any-windows-version.html ?

5. thejon1337

thejon1337 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response. I've tried clean installations a few times, with no luck, using driver sweeper and following that post. Right now I'm running the latest nvidia driver, 320.18, and I've tried clicking pretty much everything in nvidia inspector to make it stick to above 885mhz. I still haven't tried all the batch file commands yet, other than setting P state. One thing I have noticed, is that if I select a plan other than Lenovo Dynamic Graphics, then come back, for a moment it will go to whatever clocks I originally set in nvidia inspector, such as 1000mhz or 1100mhz, then after about a second, go back down to 885mhz.

I wonder if it could actually be a temp problem, it does get quite hot when playing games. It gets a little over 90C sometimes, and I did originally believe that this was a temp issue.

Here's what I've tried.

- reinstalled windows
    - clean installed drivers, both lenovo and nvidia latest
    - tried changing pstate to 0 and 5
    - using batch files to change clocks
    - changing nvidia settings to max performance options

I unlocked my bios to 1ghz core, which does hold, until it seems temps get a little high. Any way to change this I wonder? The last time I tried changing anything in this modded bios, it bricked the bios and I had to send it in. I'm a PC tech, but I can't seem to figure this out. >:

6. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    I really think you should watch the temps and maybe repaste to bring it down, this seems not to be a driver/OC tool/windows issue

7. DaCM

DaCM Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Weird. For some reason 3DMark crashes for me at startup (before starting any tests), so I couldn't get a score, but the improvement is visible in games. I don't think overclocking the memory much has any significant effects anyway, so I just keep it at 2700.

Sure:

[​IMG]

8. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would use Throttlestop but I'd rather keep the longevity of this laptop. Either way, I've tried 3 different thermal pastes, with and without the bottom casing and the CPU still gets too hot. I guess the cooling system in this thing is just inadequate.

Thanks anyway.

9. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    Have you tried lapping the contact points between the C/GPU and heatpipe?
    Try this also: http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...owners-heat-spring-tims-testing-new-post.html

10. Question2

Question2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay...i'm looking at the first post but it's all very confusing.

Why? What is BD Prochot? How do you disable this?

Okay...so turning off dynamic boost is a good thing. Problem : It doesn't actually tell you how to turn off dynamic boost....

Why would i want to force specific P states? Aren't these just profiles that the card switches depending on what you are doing? I mean right now i'm running a game, and it's on P0, so everything seems fine to me...

Why do i need a vBios mod? What is "this" overclocking method exactly? I mean, i'm this far along the guide and so far it hasn't actually told me what to change in Nvidia Inspector to OC the card. I have the program open and the overclocking window open, do i just move the slider bars however i want?

I have the GTX 670MX, inspector shows that i have 3 values, current clock, GPU clock and default clock. Is GPU clock the "max" that my card is rated for? According to : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX - NotebookCheck.net Tech, the memory speed is only 700 mhz, but inspector is showing current memory clock as 800 mhz and base memory as 1400. Why are the figures different?

Also this is kind of odd, for a overclocking tool there doesn't seem to be any temperature values at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.