nVIDIA mobile Kepler 6xx MASTER overclocking guide. Workaround for max clocks/OC stability.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Mobius 1, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHRONOSome

CHRONOSome Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, guys and gals.

I am a proud owner of MacBook Pro 2012 (Intel i7 2.6 GHz, nVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB, 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz, 15-inch 1680 x 1050 monitor, 750 GB HDD). I never had issues with performance of my laptop, however I decided to experiment with it and tried to overclock the VGA (Windows 7 Boot Camp). There are several good guides on how to overclock nVIDIA GeForce GT 650M but for some strange reason they did not work for me as they were supposed to...

First of all tools that I used:

MSI Afterburner
    nVIDIA Inspector
    FurMark

Articles that i tried to follow:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...guide-workaround-max-clocks-oc-stability.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/app...p-overclocking-results-gaming-benchmarks.html

My results:

MSI Afterburner

I have edited the MSIAfterburner.cfg file:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
    UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1

After the modification to the .cfg file the core clock is still locked and limited by 750 MHz
    The memory is easily overclockable up to 2600 MHz (stable) and probably more

nVIDIA Inspector:

There are 3 levels of Performance:

Level [0] - (P8)
    Level [1] - (P5)
    Level [2] - (P1)

Level [2] - (P1) is completely locked and inaccessible
    Level [1] - (P5) and Level [0] - (P8) - are not locked, however the memory clock speed bounces back every time I tried to move it. The core clock speed does not bounce back but for some reason it does not apply changes. As the result - core clock peed 750 MHz, memory clock speed without overclock...

I have also tried using the cmd command

nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,1

but it did not work for me...

Please tell me what am I doing wrong...

Thanks in advance,
    CHRONOSome

2. Zoiczy

Zoiczy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,0?

3. Oz!

Oz! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    CHRONOsome, i think u mean P0 and not P1.

try this line:

nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,50 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,600 -setGpuClock:0,2,800 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2600 -forcepstate:0,0

Just to confirm, your default clocks are 750 core and 2000 memory yeah? then this should work, should...

I'd like some help, i've found my perfect clock, 1035/1100 on P8. Temps rarely go above 70c. Highest i've ever seen it even after long gaming was 72c. However, i get 2-5% performance loss using P8, i get similar performance using 970/1100 on P0. But i also get 10-15c higher temps, i was getting around 85c after couple hours of farcry 3. Well worth the temperature drop imo.

Now my main question, i've been fiddling about with my cpu clocks using throttlestop. Using the turbo clock, 3.2ghz 1.1v on all four cores, temps are insane, only considerable on benchmarks, even then i cringe seeing the temp easily hit 90c. So i've succumbed to disabling turbo for 2.4ghz with 0.95v, temps are at a much more reasonable ~75c after long gaming.

But i've also figured out to be able to get inbetween clocks. I've found 2.7ghz at 1.0v a contender. Temps aren't so bad, but they do get up to about 85c max during long gaming, would u think this is ok for 24/7? I noticed no real fps improvement although the general gameplay is a tad overall smoother.

4. Zoiczy

Zoiczy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oz!

You should try this: my-m14x-r2-experimental-cooling-mod-success.html

5. Oz!

Oz! Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm, as much as i would like to, i only just got this laptop really, had it for few weeks.

Don't get me wrong i've built pc's in the past, but i've never popped open a laptop before. Maybe down the line if i get bored... or need the performance lol.

6. CHRONOSome

CHRONOSome Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, Oz!

I mean P1, there is no P0 option, please check the screenshot

NI.png

7. CHRONOSome

CHRONOSome Newbie

Reputations:
    Update:

I have tried the following line:

nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,50 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,600 -setGpuClock:0,2,800 -setMemoryClock:0,2,2600 -forcepstate:0,0

The result is 797 MHz core, 2600 MHz memory.

oc.png

How to get 1060 MHz core clock speed?

Can someone tell/show the link/article on how the clock offset works?

8. ronferri

ronferri Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    does this also apply to watercooled cards?

9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think if you use a desktop card, there is a community thread in OCN that makes their own modded vBIOS which enables user to tweak the vcore or has a higher vcore than normal

You can use this method in a desktop card, but it's not recommended to do so.

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think if you use a desktop card, there is a community thread in OCN that makes their own modded vBIOS which enables user to tweak the vcore or has a higher vcore than normal

You can use this method in a desktop card, but it's not recommended to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.