nVIDIA mobile Kepler 6xx MASTER overclocking guide. Workaround for max clocks/OC stability.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Mobius 1, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StromKnight

StromKnight Newbie

Reputations:
    I can confirm this works on a Lenovo Y580 using Nvidia Inspector and a .bat file pointing to nvidiainspector with the nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,5
    The Trick is, you have to install Lenovo's Energy Management software and enable Dynamic Graphics Mode before any of the changes to P5 Will take effect.
    I Have my 660m set at 1100 Core/2600 Mem. If you set it to any other Power plan it seems to Not want to use the boost technology.

Thanks Everyone and especially you Mobius 1

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No problem :)

Glad to hear that it works on a Y580, I will post your guide in the OP

No no, what bios brand do you have?

My asus uses an AMI BIOS (american megatrends)

3. G8GT594

G8GT594 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mobius 1,

I have a quick question for you.

Will anyone of the Vbios work on the first page of this thread for a 660M in a Asus G55?

I'm slowly doing some testing right now finding the max core clock. I'm at 1175 and ran 20 minutes furmark at 69c. I just want to know if I will have the option to up the voltage a little.

Thanks!

4. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    The vBIOS of the 660m in the G55 is tied to the system BIOS much like the Y580 because it does not use an MXM interface.

There is a v209 BIOS available in Tech Inferno that is unlocked, you might want to ask svl7 if he can up the volts :)

5. G8GT594

G8GT594 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Figures, Asus trying to ruin my fun as usual. Kind sucks that it doesn't use MXM. Ruined the chances of upgrading to a better card lol.

I downloaded the v209 from Inferno, didn't flash it because I had a feeling the volts would be the same. I'll send him a PM and see if he can, maybe a little donation for some persuasion and he will hook me up lol.

Thanks you for the response Mobius :)

6. Rosbife

Rosbife Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys, in particular Mobius 1 ;)

This is just a curiosity post. After testing the OCed DDR3 GT 650M on my Asus N56VZ (haven't used this guide yet, still the locked +135MHz), I got pretty weird results.

During benching, the max stable OC (1085MHz core | 1075MHz memory) got me regular ~P2660 (+- 5) on 3DMark11, up from ~P2350 at stock. In Unigine Heaven it was even bigger, going from 17.3 FPS (437 score) to 27.0 FPS (679 score) at medium settings. Temperatures remained fairly identical - 3DMark11 registered about 74ºC max for the GPU and 84ºC max for the CPU (although I have lowered these a lot, down to about 72 - 77, by just building a makeshift suspension "gadget" to improve airflow).

But here's the catch. I ran these tests with most of the computer optimized. Shut down unrelated background programs, unplugged my 2nd display, switched to High Performance (Asus', P4G), etc. Just trying to draw that extra bit of power, don't even know what and if it helped. Two or three weeks have gone by since the benching (3 months overall since I bought the laptop).

That's where it got weird, cause a couple days ago I just decided to randomly run a 3Dmark11 bench. I didn't close anything, I had the dual monitor set up, left the power option at 'Entertainment' (again, Asus' P4G), didn't move a finger. My laptop hadn't been shut down in a few days, whichever influence that might or not have. Curiously, this random test yielded P2740 on 3DMark11.. I ran a few more and they were consistent, topping at P2746. Which is 80-90 ahead of my regulars with the same clocks, under above conditions.

I then did a lot of testing, switching power options, changing minimum processor power states, programs running, dual/single monitor, and many other stuff very much possibly irrelevant. Here's what was significant:

First of all, P4G's Entertainment power mode produced better graphics score than High Performance (or P4G's own), at the expense of very slightly worse Physics score, and therefore higher 3DMark11 scores. No idea why.
    Raising minimum processor states actually lowered 3DMark11 scores as well. Setting them back low would increase again. No idea why either.
    Benching with dual-monitor up (one benching full screen, the other with MSIAB / Skype / some Windows gadget) actually gave better scores than with single display. No idea why, again.

I know benching is what it is, but even then I can only guess at the reasons behind these differences. So here I am, asking if anyone has any insight, just so I could understand a bit more.

PS: To close out, while typing this post I decided to throw in another random 3DMark11. It gave me P2773. I noticed the only difference was that I had the League of Legends client running. So I decided to do one more test:
    Running it two times more with the client running, I got P2772 and again P2773. Shut the client down, and I got P2744 and P2742. Reopened it, and it went up again all the way to P2779. Wut?? It seems I'm either a complete newb with this or that 3Dmark11 is just a bit random with the preferences.

Any ideas are highly appreciated xD

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    First of all, wow. I've never seen anything like it.

Maybe what you should do is reinstall 3DM11 and upgrade to GeForce v306.97 WHQL.

I also read the Dell M6700 review, although the conditions were not same as yours. The OP got a higher GPU score when he runs 3DM11 and Prime95 (CPU load) compared to only having 3DM11 run.

You might also want to use the windows power management to manually set stuffs for a particular power plan, I've never used the P4G control panel before.

/:

That is quite weird, try asking this question again in the N56VZ's owners lounge to get more answers.

But other than 3DM11, did you try running an actual game-based benchmark (3DM11 is synthetic) like Crysis 2 or Resident Evil 5?

8. Rosbife

Rosbife Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. I think I updated 3DM11 just a few weeks ago (don't remember very well, it asked for an update iirc), and as for the drivers, I performed a lengthy, clean install of the 306.23 WHQL earlier this same month.
    Neither seems to be 'outdated', so for now I'll leave them as they are. Once I do update them I'll be sure to post results though!

As for the Dell review, well, I don't know why either but it does resemble my case in the basic sense that he got higher scores with more programs running at the same time than with few. Long shot, but could for some reason have some sort of influence.

I did try the other power options, and those were the only significant differences. I tampered with the advanced settings in many of them so the names themselves don't really make any difference.

And no, I haven't benched those yet. Let me look it up! Thanks

(meanwhile, onwards to the owner's lounge :p)

9. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    I wish you the best of luck!
    Post back here if you have the solution :)

10. Tenkes

Tenkes Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

Can anyone tell my which notebook has better OC capabilities? I've seen the y580 Lenos got good results, but I am also thinking a Dell's 7720 with 650M ddr5 (may it have a better cooling due to bigger size). Anyone can give me some advice? Which one should I go for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.