nVIDIA mobile Kepler 6xx MASTER overclocking guide. Workaround for max clocks/OC stability.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Mobius 1, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abs0lutezer0

abs0lutezer0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, just wanted to say thank you for the great write-up the inclusion of the bat files made my life much easier when tinkering with my 650m.

I was hoping someone could explain or point me in the right direction to a writeup that explains what all the settings mean. I'd like to further understand all the flags that are associated with the bat file. What I'm getting at is what exactly do all the values mean after each of the flags?

nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,135 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,500 -setpowertarget:0,111 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,187500 -setGpuClock:0,2,1311 -setMemoryClock:0,2,3500 -forcepstate:0,2

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just wondering, what BIOS brand do you have?

If I want to overclock +140MHz to the core and 510MHz to the memory

nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,140 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,510 -setpowertarget:0,111 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,(default bios core clock+140) -setMemoryClock:0,2,(default bios vram clock+510) -forcepstate:0,2

Power target/voltage adjustments does not apply to mobile 6xx series. You don't have to worry about it

3. abs0lutezer0

Reputations:
    Mobius 1, thank you for the reply... if you don't mind I'd like to dig a little deeper.

With the 650m I can exclude the -setpowertarget and -setvoltageoffset flags, understood.

Next questions...

First what values do the bolded text below represent?

nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,140 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,510 -setGpuClock:0,2 -setMemoryClock:0,2 -forcepstate:0,2

I'm guessing that the "0,2" after GpuClock and MemoryClock represent the pstate these new values will be applied to, is that correct?

Lastly, NvidiaInspector shows the following for me: Performace Level [0] - (P8) / Performace Level [1] - (P5) / Performace Level [2] - (P0). If I'm understanding all this correctly and pardon my ignorance I'm new to this... PL [0] / (P8) is idle clock, PL [1] / (P5) is default mode, and PL [2] / (P0) is under load?

Thanks again for all the clarifications it seems difficult to find solid information on the topic. Most of what I can find is basic and not very descriptive.

4. Rosbife

Rosbife Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not sure I'm following. So if I use MSI AB, there is a +135MHz OC limit, for as long as I don't mod my BIOS? (GT650m)

5. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    From what I've seen from most 650M owners 0,1 is the command to get to the P2 state (load)

However, this is used in the DDR5 version, your ASUS N5/76VZ is a DDR3 model and might require a different value to override P2

You do have the +135MHz limitation on AB, with this tutorial you can unlock it without using a BIOS mod

6. abs0lutezer0

Reputations:
    Just for reference I have a hp dv6-7014nr which has DDR5.

Thanks for the information, I will continue to play with it until i'm satisfied with my results.

7. wankel

wankel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Mobius I have an Alienware m14x r2 with a 1gb ddr5 gt 650m and i can't get it into the p0 state. I've tried nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,2, nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,1, and nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,5. any ideas? only p8, p5, and p2 show up in nvidia inspector.

8. Rosbife

Rosbife Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks :) will give this a try over the weekend, still learning the ropes...

However just one last question for now. My laptop (a ddr3 vram asus n56vz) is not a gaming one and it does get rather warm. With no OC I registered 86º C / 93º C for the GPU and CPU respectively over an hour of Skyrim.
    Does the 86 seem too high to you to be overclocking it much? I know each card OCs differently, and I'll go with small adjustments for stability, but was just wondering before I got started. I've also heard the GT650M has a good range for OCing the core clock without increasing heat. Would make sense since the 650 and 660 seem to be the same card with different clocks, but if NVidia brands them according to quality after the battery of tests... then it might be different.

Thanks in advance!

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Those temps are awfully high for just playing Skyrim and wouldn't even consider overclocking at those temps. If I were you and are handy at repairing PC's, I'd change your thermal paste (may void warranty) and use compressed air on your fan intakes to get dust out of there. But then again, Asus laptops don't always have to best cooling except for their actual "gaming" laptops. But the 650m is a cool running GPU and have never seen one reach 86C. Not trying to scare you, but either the cooling system sucks, you have a lot of dust on the fans, or it just needs a good repasting of the CPU and GPU. Chances are that system has a single fan to cool both CPU and GPU.

10. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    You might want to ask other 14x owners, because I'm not really sure if the 14x requires a different 0,x value

Check Tech Inferno, they have a custom M14x unlocked BIOS there

Their cooling system is decent, but what crippled the laptop's OC ability is the thermal paste they use (cmiiw, head it from Hopelesslyfaithful)

The ASUS N5/76VZ does use a single fan system. And the fan intake is nonexistent (maybe it sucks air from the keyboard?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.