nVIDIA mobile Kepler 6xx MASTER overclocking guide. Workaround for max clocks/OC stability.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Mobius 1, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've read that almost all people here have problems on overclocking the Kepler series mobile GPU's. So I'd thought why not make a thread for it where you can get ALL the info you need.

I can't say I have a Kepler though, I have a 630M that is basically a rebranded GT 540M.

So, enough with the non-related stuffs for now. Let's dive right it.

What this guide will have.

1. Drivers and basic tweaks
    2. Overclocking your mobile Kepler with turbo disabled and maximum clocks allowed

ADVANCED

I know some people here like svl7 from Tech|Inferno and NBR and Prema from and NBR and BIOS-MODS forum likes to mod and change settings with the BIOS of videocards.

If you people happen to have a vBIOS dump (GTX 660m/680m), or a BIOS dump of your system (GT 640 D3/D5, 640LE, 650 D3/D5). Please post them here so both svl7 and Prema can mod it.

3. List of GPU with modded vBIOS/BIOS download (below)

DRIVERS AND OPTIMIZATION

DRIVERS

First would be updating your drivers, as usual go to the nVIDIA website and download your preference (latest BETA or STABLE).

Follow kingpinzero's guide for tweaking your system and doing a proper driver install

Link: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...ve-amd-nvidia-drivers-using-clean-method.html

Credits: Kingpinzero

Windows power management: Set both min CPU usage and max CPU usage to 100%. Change all cooling method to "active"

Please use throttlestop by unclewebb. Disable BD Prochot.

Throttlestop: http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...arket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html

Credits: unclewebb

Master OC guide

Software needed

GPU-Z (reading status and monitoring hardware)

NVIDIA Inspector (overclocking)

Credits: whybother @ OCN

OVERCLOCKING WITH A FIXED CLOCKSPEED

Why?

1. More stability, less frequency jumps
    2. Higher stability, higher OC frequency

WoT with dynamic boost OFF and ON

Off on the left, On on the right

[​IMG]

Dynamic boost= Biggest failure of 6xx series, not automated hardware can beat a human operator in overclocking a graphics card.

Nvidia inspector power states

Performance modes
    P8 = idle clock speeds and lowest power consumption
    P2 = the default mode used when your PC boots or no drivers are installed.
    P0 = Gaming/Load. This mode only accepts boost/offset values

However, this is using GTX 6xx series kepler DESKTOP graphics. Differences in mobile systems are explained further down

NVidia's latest WHQL 320.18 accepts the +135MHz override
    2 Members of NBR confirmed that 320.18 works with the OC tutorial. Tested on MSi 650M

How to force specific P-states

The command line is required to do this. Either run "cmd" and locate the directory containing nvidia inspector, or create a .bat file in its directory.

Force P8 (idle) nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,8
    Force P2 (custom) nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,2
    Return to Default nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,16

Using batch files for simple switching between power modes

Create the following batch files in your Nvidia Inspector directory.

overclock.bat
    nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,135 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,500 -setpowertarget:0,111 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,187500 -setGpuClock:0,2,1311 -setMemoryClock:0,2,3500 -forcepstate:0,2

force_idle.bat
    nvidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,8

nvidiaInspector.exe -setVoltageOffset:0,0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,705 -setMemoryClock:0,2,3000 -forcepstate:0,16

Hint: Mobile keplers does not have voltage offset, keep -setVoltageOffset:0,0,0 and do not modify it

Additional help if you still can't get the numbering method
    This is also for SLi Setups on bigger laptops

The commands above are self explanatory. Simply adjust the offsets/values to suit. I use shortcuts to execute these batch files, making idle<->overclock an easy toggle. Even with forced idle clocks, blurays only use 20% gpu.

PLEASE CHECK BELOW FOR A vBIOS MOD BEFORE USING THIS OVERCLOCKING METHOD

This is where it gets to the point where you have to at least figure out something on your own.

The command line of the P-state, is not only 0,x as stated above for the desktop GPU, it might need a different value.

nVIDIA GT 650M

Experienced by asdad123 (NBR/McRMR) in his MacBook Pro Retina

15-mar/2013: UPDATE SMC FIRMWARE TO STOP THROTTLING
    Apple support article MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update v1.1

McRMR thread: Retina MBP BootCamp Overclocking Results - MacRumors Forums

NBR thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/app...p-overclocking-results-gaming-benchmarks.html

As confirmed by neon10th of NBR, the pstate have to be 0,5 instead of 0,2 . Neon has a HP DvT series

This might be the solution to: DDR5 GT 650M users in the DvT6, Alienware M14x (R2), Sager NP616/75 (W15/70ER).

DDR3 650M users (sheesh, really DDR3 in 2012?) in the W110ER and N5/76VZ might work, but no confirmation yet.

However it needs proving by somebody using 0,1 in the above stated laptops.

UPDATE: use method in this post for DDR3 650M: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...d-max-clocks-oc-stability-26.html#post9002309

GTX 660M

GTX 660M in the Y580, INSTALL THIS BEFORE OVERCLOCKING

As experienced by Nahrai (NBR), he needs to use 0,5 instead of 0,1

This however, is done on a LENOVO Y580 card.

NBR Thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/675756-660m-overclocking-boosting.html

These laptops use a similar 660M core, but you might have to use a different value than 0,5

Alienware M17x R4/R3 (assuming you got the 660M to work), Clevo P15/70EM, LENOVO Y580, ASUS G5/75 series.

A word of warning.

Using -resetAllPStates command does not work correctly.

Reverting to default P mode can sometimes, depending on what you did, lock your card at a specific clock speed. Simply reinstall drivers to fix (clean install not required).

There is a 1-2% performance loss using this method. I have no idea why. Stick to normal overclock methods if you want high benchmark figures.

Known BIOS Mods and advanced tweaking

NP6110 (W110ER), NP615/70 (W15/70ER) unlocked BIOS: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...818-clevo-w-series-prema-bios-mod-review.html

Credits: Prema + svl7 for vBIOS

Gigabyte U2442 C/N/V models

Here

Credits to: Prema

MSi GE6/70 OEM EDITION ONLY not intended for whitebooks/barebones

Prema Mod BIOS GPU OC Edition for MSI GE-Series

Other

-N/A-

Please go to this thread at Tech|Inferno

If you want to mod your vBIOS, please post a BIOS dump (GT 650M and lower)

Or a vBIOS dump (read by using GPU-Z or NIBITOR) for GTX 660M and GTX 680M

Cheers :)

2. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    Reserved for future posts

3. Amal77

Amal77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great Thread!

Will keep visiting for more update. :)

4. Kingpinzero

Kingpinzero ROUND ONE,FIGHT! You Win!

Reputations:
    I hope my guide comes handy. Been using the clean method since a lot of time now and never had a driver installation issue.

5. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    Just wondering, did the guide work out for you 640M LE?

6. neon10th

neon10th Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You, sir, are a godsend. I have an HP dv6t-7000 with an 3610qm and a 2GB 650m DDR5 and I was successfully able to overclock the core past 970 mhz! I've been looking for a way to do this for several weeks.

You might want to add this to the OP: I can confirm that using a shortcut to force the pstate worked perfectly. However, similar to the other user, I had to put NVidiaInspector.exe -forcepstate:0,5 instead of 0,2 because the middle state for my laptop is P5.

Here are some 3DMark11 Results:

970mhz core/3000mhz mem (no throttlestop): P2644
    [​IMG]

1150mhz core/2800mhz mem (with throttlestop): P3030!
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,Hewlett-Packard 181E score: P3030 3DMarks
    OR
    [​IMG]

Thank you so much! +REP

7. feelseasy

feelseasy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hai gaiyz, leetz scorez :D.
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,CLEVO CO. W150ER score: P3288 3DMarks
    It worked for the np6165/w150erq. Using 1202.3 mhz core. The memory wont go over stock though @ 2000mhz, wont even go 1 point above 2000, in p5 or p8. p0 (normally heavy load) you can't unlock max, so i just used p5, unlocked max set clock, and forced state. Thx for sharing this wonderful info. Can you help me fix the memory being not overclockable? (Its normally overclockable using MSI afterburner).
    Just wanted to add that the memory isn't locked in the hardware, but nvidiaInspector wont let me increase it above 2000mhz

8. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    LOL wait what. You can overclock GT650M almost up to GTX 580M?

9. feelseasy

feelseasy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Na, 580m 3dmark11 stock gpu is about 3191, mine is only 3066 :D .

10. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Yeah thats almost in my eyes. Holy cow :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.