Nvidia Maxwell & M6600/M6700/M6800 bios

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by jharrop, Jun 7, 2017.

1. KhronX

KhronX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Since you should have an iGPU as well, assuming the HP video BIOS isn't so "crippled" that it doesn't even allow the computer to detect the video card, there's a chance you might be able to get away with a software solution. I'll let other, more experienced users chime in on this point.

The more certain way would be to source a Dell video BIOS dump, flash that into an appropriate chip and swap it physically on the video board. But that's obviously the "hardcore" route (you'd need an SPI flash programmer and a hot-air station to swap the chips).

2. Splash84

Splash84 Newbie

Reputations:
    It sounds pretty hardcore. No way for an amateur like me. Maybe anybady will find any solution soon.
    thx for help

3. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It isn't that hard. You just need to download the correct flash tools and have a non-HP vBIOS for the card and you are good to go!

There should be instructions on this forum on how to use the nVidia flash tools. I don't have my main laptop with me but I did buy a K4100M for my M6800 before it got upgraded to a 980M. At first when switching to the K4100M, it will cause the system to hang. I thought the card was faulty and tried to return it to the seller which refuted the issue.

Eventually, someone told me the card might be from a HP system and to flash it with a non-HP vBIOS. I did some research and got a fellow member here to extract the vBIOS from his Dell K4100M. After flashing... the rest was history! I have a working K4100M! :)

alexhawker likes this.