nVidia .inf modding questions / clarifications

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by TenGauge, Sep 10, 2017.

1. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently purchased an MSI GTX 980m MXM card off of eBay to put in my HP 8770w. I am trying to prepare my process for modifying the inf files to get this to work. My understanding is that I shouldn't have to mess with the vBIOS at all since it's an MSI card and should have a vBIOS for LVDS displays already and the only thing I'll need to do is modify the drivers to get them to install and function correctly.

I've done the research on how to mod the inf files and how to find the hardware ID's and replace them in the inf files. My biggest question is, how do I know which inf files to modify? Everything I've read so far has said to modify the nvcvi.inf and nvdmi.inf files. From what I understand these two inf files are for Clevo and for Dell/Alienware. Would these still be the correct inf files to modify for my setup? Do these files correspond to the laptop manufacturer or the video card manufacturer, or both? If I have an MSI GPU and an HP laptop, shouldn't I be modifying the nvhmi.inf and nvmii.inf files, or am I thinking about this completely wrong somehow?

If someone could help me better understand how the nVidia installer chooses which inf file(s) to pull from that would be excellent so I can make sure I am modding the correct files.

Appreciate the help!

2. InOrderToSignIn

InOrderToSignIn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @j95 has modded infs ask his help.

4. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    nvhmi is for non business marketed HP devices
    nvbli is for hp business marketed HP devices

find your laptop's Mobo ID in device manager as described in Null's Guide for example my G1 Zbook 15 is "1909"

Now I suggest modifying nvbli.inf by taking one of the combinations that pairs your 8770w's Mobo ID with a quaddro GPU ID that you don't own nor intend to own
    -change the quaddro's GPU ID with the GPU ID of your 980m which should be "1617"
    -Add a line in strings for your "1617" describing it as GeForce GTX 980M
    *use Null's Guide for proper formatting of everything*

5. TenGauge

Reputations:
    I was going to just add new strings to the inf. Is it better to mod an existing string, or same-same just different approach?

6. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In my experience There isn't any pro to adding your own lines within the [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64******************] sub section that applies to your OS just room for additional error

If you modify an existing line that is already for your laptop within the [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64******************] sub section that applies to your OS that line will already be set up for your laptop with the best section ID which will have the best options for you already configured like Stereoscopic 3D, Optimus Support etc and you will save your self time on the modification side of things as well as troubleshooting side

now I want to be careful to make distinction between lines and strings as there is a [Strings] sub section which is responsible for telling the system the name of the GPU which combines Laptop Mobo IDs with GPU IDs

The changes I recommend to lines pertaining to your laptop and whichever GPU ID you don't need must be made within
    -The [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64******************] sub section that applies to your OS
    -[Strings] sub section
    Again please use Null's guide when configuring all sub sections

7. TenGauge

Reputations:
    She's in and running! Easy install, worked on first inf mod, added my own lines and bam, working like a treat! I'd call this a marked improvement from that cruddy K4000m!

Capture.PNG

alexhawker and ChanceJackson like this.