NVIDIA GTX 680M Thread - M18x R2 and M18x R1 Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Bytales, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And who cares about the iGP as long as you have that big boy running in your machine. You should be happy that it works...

I received my R2 with dual SLi 680m 2 days back and I couldn't be happier. The screen looks much brighter with the NVidia cards compared to the AMD, details are more clear and had no issues so far (However I did not make any benches so far). I beleave if you order the new R2 and you have money to buy the CrossfireX you will definately have the extra money to add the SLi GPU's instead. The troubles you are going through every day with AMD cards is not worth it...

Only one issue I have faced so far with both the cards (Nvidia and AMD, both in SLi mode and CrossfireX), water flickering in crysis 2 is still there. It could be an issue because of the SLi / CrossfireX mode or a driver problem. In single mode with either of cards this problem is not there. But as Mr. Fox mentioned I did not buy a dual system just to use one card. As a matter of fact, I have built an desktop in 2007 (I think) with 7900GT SLi cards and it has been like that since that time. I only opened it last year to clean the dust, other than that no issues...

Mr. Fox I totally recommend selling your system and getting the R2 with 680M SLi!

2. prank1

prank1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You may not care about iGP but not everyone uses the laptop for only gaming every second whilst its turned on.

3. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^^^ You don't have to play games all the time to have the Dedicated card running 24/7. Plus those cards run pretty cool while standard using (browsing, word processing, emails, music) and the fans kick in rarely. My system is on since yesteday and if I do not do much (as of now I only do some browsing, emails) the temps stay in between 45-50 and I never hear the fans turning on at all...

4. prank1

prank1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes but if you are running on the iGPU, you will get much better battery life than if you are running on the dGPU. Which is probably the main reason why people prefer to use the iGPU while not gaming or doing anything intensive.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No, Optimus and Enduro hybrid switching technologies are not supported on the M18x. The M18x employs a superior mux switch that is manually executed at the hardware level. It is far more reliable and enhances battery run time when using the IGFX.

There is no compelling reason to switch to the IGFX unless you need to run on the battery, and it works extremely great for that. It is a matter of personal preference. When connected to AC power, there is no advantage to switch to IGFX unless a person is OCD about wearing out their discreet graphics cards.
    I'd dearly love to do that, but I'm still very pleased with the M18x R1 (excusing the 7970M CF) and don't have the $4,000 it would take to buy an equivalent spec'd R2 with a 3920XM and 680M SLI. My wife just recently forgave me for spending $4,000 on a laptop, so I don't want to push my luck too hard, LOL. Plus, I would not be able to bear the thought of selling the R1. It's like a member of the family now and I'd have to keep it, rather than selling it to offset the cost of the upgrade. I need to be able to sleep at night, too. I would lose sleep wondering if the new owner is taking good care of it. (Just kidding... sort of.)

6. momosan

momosan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know approximately when can we order the 680m directly from Dell (as a replacement part for those with R1)?

Thanks in advance!

7. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not available right now - I imagine it will be a good few weeks yet before Dell start "allowing" the cards to be bought. Even then, until they are "validated" for use in the R1, they wont be officially supported - meaning various tweaks etc would be required to get them to work 100%.....that's what I am thinking anyway.

Regards to validation for use in the M18x R1, I doubt Dell would be in a hurry to do this as it will affect sales of R2's - they like to hold us to ransom when it comes to owning the latest and greatest GPU's - they seem to not want us to be able to upgrade to these cards which is really underhanded if you ask me.....

8. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    that's true, but does it make sanse to said the the loptop is upgreadeble if dell don't allow it?!!!:confused:

9. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Purchase a 4GB Clevo card, they're better anyway. The Dell cards are gimped as far as OC and have less ram. The only down side of the Clevo card so far is that you lose IGPU functionality which may or may not matter to some people. Battery life with the 680M running is about 2.5 hours and that's enough for me. I haven't tested HDMI IN yet either but I heard modding Dell's 680M driver enables the functionality (i never use it).

10. Patrck_744

Patrck_744 Burgers!

Reputations:
    ^ Has anyone tested the MSI GTX680Ms? IIRC they also have 4GB like the Clevo ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.