NVIDIA GTX 680M Thread - M18x R2 and M18x R1 Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Bytales, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, we are already starting to see this upgrade. It is compatible with the R1 and works very well. You may need to mod the driver for now, as the hardware device ID changes when installed in the R1 (much like it was initially with the 7970M video cards). It will also show up in Futuremark bench results a Generic VGA until they add the device ID variation to their database. They may have already done so... haven't checked.

5150Joker has a single 680M in his R1 and it's blistering fast (3DMark11 7563 with only one GPU, which is similar, if not slightly higher than a single 7970M).

The parts are not available from Dell at this time. You will need to buy the GPU from Clevo for now, and you can expect to pay nearly $800 for one GPU from them, but it is a more robust GPU with twice the amount of vRAM. The heat sinks for the 580M will work with the 680M.

2. momosan

momosan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply, Mr. Fox.

So basically, I would need to get, the 680m card from Clevo, 580/680 heat sink from Dell and some thermal paste to do this retrofit?

Do you suggest that I wait to order the part from Dell or just order it from Clevo? Think there will be any differences between the cards?

3. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The clevo is 680M 4GB while the dell 680M is 2GB.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If you are only planning to install one 680M, yes... a heat sink for the left side, and support plate (aka back plate or heat plate). The 580M heat sink comes with pads and thermal interface material applied already if purchased new from Dell, so buying paste would be optional. If you plan to install 680M SLI you will need an SLI bridge cable as well as a right heat sink and second support plate. As I mentioned, the Clevo cards appear to be more robust with twice the vRAM. There are some differences in the vBIOS, they are not compatible between the GPUs, and the information I have seen reported suggests the Clevo cards offer slightly more aggressive performance. I don't have a recommendation either way. There would be pluses to ordering them from Dell, but they are not available for purchase at this time.

5. supermi

supermi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got my 680m installed in my M18X today and itworked likea charm HOWEVER:

the optimus feature which lets me switch between the discreet gpu and integrated gpu at the press of a button to save power on battery did not work as the computer neither in windows or BIOS would read an integrated gpu the intel 3000 hd on die with the cpu AT ALL. so there was NO way to switch ... so I had to put in an ssd anyway so I reinstalled windows and now not only does that not work but upppon reinstalling windows, drivers and alienware programs some of the quick keys do not work, like the quick key for mute does not work and volume up lowers the volume and volume down raises the volume now and a few more things like that!!!

Is optimus working for others with the 4gb 680m in the m18xr1? any ideas?

6. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have You Test It On games? I Don't Think that The the optimus is avalible on alienware laptop!

7. supermi

supermi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it is very much available ... other than for me right now

8. DVSman

DVSman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Optimus (GPU switching on the fly) is available on my m14x but it is not available on my m18x since I have 2xGPU / SLI. It may however be available on those m18x with just one GPU (I'm not sure on that one).

In my case (SLI machines) Dell / AW does provide for a manual GPU switching which requires a keystroke + reboot which is 'technically' not =/= "Optimus"

9. supermi

supermi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok yes you are right as my m14x does the optimus automatic switching, my m18x did need the manual change and reboot as well... however that does not work if no integrated gpu is noticed even in BIOS ...

that is my issue here

I just have the discreet gpu to choose

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.