NVIDIA GTX 680M Thread - M18x R2 and M18x R1 Upgrade Discussion

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Bytales, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I flashed to the Dell VBIOS I found on T|I, and I no longer get the message before POST. Nothing has changed as far as the random and frequent driver crashes though. I also installed the 314.22 driver. No changes there either.

I either still have the wrong VBIOS flashed, the card is defective (which I find very unlikely considering it's performance), or I need to reinstall Windows 7. Is there a possibility that there are remnants of my 7970M installation that are causing issues? I uninstalled the AMD driver and performed a sweep, but I'm not sure if that's sufficient.

So what is a definitive way to tell if it is a Dell, Clevo, or MSI?

I really appreciate the help guys!

2. reborn2003

reborn2003 THE CHIEF!

Reputations:
    Hey Champ! :thumbsup:

Nice to see you back up and running on your dream card the GTX 680M. :p
    Are you scouting for a 2nd GPU to go SLi as well?

The message that you saw before the POST was just svl7's signature that he and Prema leave to show their ownership of work sometimes on different vbios's they have created. So no real biggy there ;)

I would try a few different drivers 1st as I know driver crashes in the past have been from buggy or corrupt drivers. Also if your not already, I would run the GPU on stock clocks 1st just to try and solve the display driver crashes.

Cheers. :)

3. TurbodTalon

Reputations:
    Chief, I have tried several different drivers. The clocks are at stock now since I've flashed the Dell VBIOS to the card. I'm still having the same issues as before.

Is the green PCB Dell or Clevo?

I thought the Clevo cards were more turquoise?

The performance of the card is spot-on. It is very powerful. The constant driver crashes are kind of a bummer, so if nothing else prevails, I may just reinstall Windows 7.

Thanks for all of the help boys!

4. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have you tried any driver from the 314.xx releases? - the 320.xx's seem to be hit and miss....

5. TurbodTalon

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm running 314.22. I did a fresh installation of Windows 7 and the problems I was having are completely gone (for now). Windows hasn't finished installing all of the updates though, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I think there might have been some remnant of my old 7970M installation hanging around somewhere that was mucking things up.

6. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nice one, nothing like a blow out and re-install to set things straight. From recollection, the 314.xx's are more stable anyway's. I have a feeling all will be well for you now!

7. TurbodTalon

Reputations:
    It isn't too bad when you do it from a USB stick. If you're running an SSD, Windows installs in a few minutes. But yeah, so far so good.

Everything seems to be fixed with the fresh Windows installation. No driver crashes whatsoever. I even flashed the Svl7 VBIOS to get higher clocks with EVGA Precision X. The card is a monster, and I can't believe I waited this long to get one. Thanks for all the help everyone.

8. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Now get another one. ;)

9. pdogg93

pdogg93 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    question gents. Is 314.22 the best driver set for ski 680's? I have the latest 320 drivers and I haven't had any problems with them at all. The reason why i'm asking is whether the 314 drivers deliver better performance? I mainly play crysis 3 right now. Thanks in advance

10. Optimistic Prime

Optimistic Prime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    314.22 seems to be stable and perform best for most people. As Steve said, the newer drivers tend to be hit and miss. If the newer drivers perform better for you, let us know. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.